New Grand National - Help with a setup

I found this thread about a demo car before 1984, http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-grand-national-demo-car.290549/#post-2236602 on page 2 of that thread is a picture of the poster with the engine that got made for a special riviera pace car. Just insane what GM thought up even back then.
That setup was able to achieve 410hp @ 5700 with adjustable wastegates without the alky turned on, imagine someone without violating any design rights of course plumbing something for intercooling of a setup similar to that for our 3.8's. With the factory alky kit turned on, it had made 450 HP at that 5700 rpm.I imagine the thing must of made about 400+ lb/tq too back then on the alky, since without the alky turned on it produced 377lb/tq at the 5700rpm. It must of moved well too for the times.
It'd be cool to run a similar setup but with intercooling involved.
This is what that car looked like btw. http://www.rivieraconvertible.com/pacecar.htm
They also have alot of the spec's on that site of what that indy pace car build contained.

Last edited:
A bummer you have to wait on some stuff to have the scanmaster arrive, just means you have some time to decide on a couple things and figure out what you're gonna do in a few aspects before a few things arrive for you Cam.

Twins had a more interest years ago, not so much now. With todays converters and turbos the power and spooling are excellent-if matched correctly to the engine.

I understand that, just would be interesting to see what an intercooled custom stock twin turbo'd setup with some Alky to help avoid detonation on pump gas 3.8 v6 could muster.
It would be different from most other TR's if someone managed to pull that off and have it live for quite awhile.

Agreed guys, A twin turbo setup would be pretty sweet! Nice links by the way, that was a pretty cool read.

As far as the scan master not coming in, it will give me more time to decide on some other aspects of the car like you said, so all is not lost. :)

Cam

That is kind of neat. I wonder what twin turbos would be like. However, I will probably be sticking with the single.

-Cam
Ask turbofabricator. Search for his name. He made his own setup on his car. I don't know if he ever got it running right. He was trying to sell it not long ago.

Ask turbofabricator. Search for his name. He made his own setup on his car. I don't know if he ever got it running right. He was trying to sell it not long ago.

I think I would rather just go single turbo. It seems a bit easier and they run just fine on single turbo, but thanks for the info though!

Cam

Well everyone, my dad text me and said more of my parts came in today. I will know everything I got tonight. I believe the power plate and the prologger showed up today.

Cam

That's good, if the PL showed up you'd be able to start getting that hooked up and have it ready to hook the scanmaster upto it once the scanmaster shows up and of course install the ver 2.2 upgraded chip into the scanmaster that came with the PL kit also.

That's good, if the PL showed up you'd be able to start getting that hooked up and have it ready to hook the scanmaster upto it once the scanmaster shows up and of course install the ver 2.2 upgraded chip into the scanmaster that came with the PL kit also.
I disagee..hook up sm without the 2.2 and even leave the pl alone for now and see how the car is running.

He's currently waiting on the scanmaster to show up, he could see how the car is running presently using a laptop through the PL hardware software package that he bought. But it's a matter of does he want to know now or wait for the scanmaster to show up and then see how it is running. I realize you have to be careful with the install of the PL, but i believe part of the point in the existance of the PL was to give you a bunch info of how the car was running, but if the pl wasn't designed to show data at idle then he'd have to have the scanmaster to see that info then which there'd be no point in prepping things and install the PL until that scanmaster was hooked up then.

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry its been awhile since I last replied, I got super busy last night. First off I got the bumper fillers, gaskets, power plate, comp cams springs, fuel pump, NGK spark plugs, plug wires powerlogger ( thanks Fast4Ward, I totally didnt read that correctly lol ) and knock gauge all in yesterday. I am not just waiting on the scan master, hotwire for fuel pump, console switches, and fuel regulator. I willl let everyone know as soon as they come in! Currently I am painting up some minor things under the hood that looked bad and needed cleaned up. I am also geting the coating off of the computer in order to plug in the powerlogger. My dad and I should be getting the springs on this weekend and hopefully start to get thibgs put together. Il try and keep you all as updated as possible!

Cam

No biggie, we all get busy from time to time. How's everything going?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No biggie, we all get busy from time to time. How's everything going?

Everything is going well! I am scraping off the top layer of paint on the valve cover pans now to expose the fins. Also I just got the last of the valve springs put on, looking good so far! I installed the power logger last night, it looks awesome, I am super pumped to play around with it, hopefully that will be later today!

Cam

Just be careful, can open a can of worms really quickly if anything isn't at ideal settings.