New GN owner...need tuning help!

MyBoosta

More Boost = More Love!
Hello folks,

I am a first time GN owner and I need some help.

Ideally, what amount of timing do you guys typically run on pump gas with 16 to 18 psi in low gears and high gear? And the same goes for fuel psi. FYI, I have the T+ and extender chip which gives control of timing base/wot and fuel base/wot.

It just seems that I have to make adjustments every time I go out for a cruise to find that sweet spot. Rather risking any engine failure, I fugure I better ask you guys for help on this matter. Some sort of "true and tried" set up or base line that I can build on.

Thanks in advance for all your help:cool:

Thanks for your help. I am posting the same question on the forum to see how others feel cope with this.

Hello folks,

I am a first time GN owner and I need some help.

Ideally, what amount of timing do you guys typically run on pump gas with 16 to 18 psi in low gears and high gear? And the same goes for fuel psi. FYI, I have the T+ and extender chip which gives control of timing base/wot and fuel base/wot.

It just seems that I have to make adjustments every time I go out for a cruise to find that sweet spot. Rather risking any engine failure, I fugure I better ask you guys for help on this matter. Some sort of "true and tried" set up or base line that I can build on.

Thanks in advance for all your help:cool:

Thanks for your help. I am posting the same question on the forum to see how others feel cope with this.

Gear Lo-Hi
91 oct = 17-15
92 oct = 18-16
93 oct = 19-17

Based on what, are you tuning? What are you adjusting? Should not have to mess with the tune if fuel has not changed. Meaning octane level. To utilize that t-plus you need alcohol. Then your lookin at 23-21 timing and 20-23 psi boost on 93 oct. fuel.

Gear Lo-Hi
91 oct = 17-15
92 oct = 18-16
93 oct = 19-17

Based on what, are you tuning? What are you adjusting? Should not have to mess with the tune if fuel has not changed. Meaning octane level. To utilize that t-plus you need alcohol. Then your lookin at 23-21 timing and 20-23 psi boost on 93 oct. fuel.

Thanks Rick,

I have the chart of the T+ and Extender, and as far as I can tell, the owner have the abilty to adjust based on fuel and weather conditions and possibly some mods.

I am very new at this GN stuff, and I am trying to understand how to obtain the best set up for my combo (stock turbo, 50lbs injectors, hotwired 340 pump, stock IC with duttwiller neck, stock DP with test pipe, 3" impala ss MAF, stock air induction with a homemade cai using an old 6" K&N and extra flex tube, ATR true duals, 160* stat and the usual gauges). That's pretty much my set up...stock everything else exept the plugs (autolite 24).

I may be a little paranoid, but after fooling with the test pipe and air induction, the boost jumped to 20psi after the installations in the cold climate; now it's about at 17-18psi when I dialed 4% extra fuel on the T+. I just want to make sure it's safe. My knock flashes the very 1st green light when I go heavy on the pedal...is that okay? I know that this gauge is not the best method to judge A/F ratio, but that's all I have.

Again, I AM VERY new at this GN sweet powerplant, and I want to keep her for a while...she only have about 28k miles!

Thanks for the help:D

Thanks Rick,

I have the chart of the T+ and Extender, and as far as I can tell, the owner have the abilty to adjust based on fuel and weather conditions and possibly some mods.

I am very new at this GN stuff, and I am trying to understand how to obtain the best set up for my combo (stock turbo, 50lbs injectors, hotwired 340 pump, stock IC with duttwiller neck, stock DP with test pipe, 3" impala ss MAF, stock air induction with a homemade cai using an old 6" K&N and extra flex tube, ATR true duals, 160* stat and the usual gauges). That's pretty much my set up...stock everything else exept the plugs (autolite 24).

I may be a little paranoid, but after fooling with the test pipe and air induction, the boost jumped to 20psi after the installations in the cold climate; now it's about at 17-18psi when I dialed 4% extra fuel on the T+. I just want to make sure it's safe. My knock flashes the very 1st green light when I go heavy on the pedal...is that okay? I know that this gauge is not the best method to judge A/F ratio, but that's all I have.

Again, I AM VERY new at this GN sweet powerplant, and I want to keep her for a while...she only have about 28k miles!

Thanks for the help:D

You need a scanmaster to watch o2 and knock retard at the very least. Based on that you can make adjustments to the tune.
Its good that you added fuel but you need to know whats going on.
A little knock on shifts is acceptable.
Where did you add the fuel? Base or WOT?

You need a scanmaster to watch o2 and knock retard at the very least. Based on that you can make adjustments to the tune.
Its good that you added fuel but you need to know whats going on.
A little knock on shifts is acceptable.
Where did you add the fuel? Base or WOT?

Hello Rick,

I added fuel by turning the dial to #2 (4% richer) on MAF WOT. And that's another thing, when it says "no change" what parameter does it see, the one from the stock set up or the extender chip set up?

Thanks for the help.:D

Hey, to join in, when the t+ is set to no change it is just the extender chip's tune. I have -4 degrees timing wot set on mine, bringing it to 19/17. This works fine on 15#, but any higher and it will knock a few degrees. I have fueling unchanged, 45# fuel pressure , and the o2's are generally in range despite a few vacuum leaks I cant readily fix ( throttle body bushings, etc). Another note, my chip is for pump gas and alky but I have the alky disabled now. I think if I had a strictly pump gas chip I would pick up a lot at this low boost.

There are a couple things you should know about the T+ ordering process.

When they made your chip, it was made specifically for your setup, i.e., turbo, injectors, exhaust, converter and so on. The most important parameter: Your chip is zeroed for a specific octane fuel and the former owner's stated max boost. Use that fuel and that max boost and you should be able to run the T+ on its baseline settings. When you run race gas, you can add more boost and timing, even more fuel at the various stages of WOT.

You need to find the boost and fuel your chip was made for. If it was made for pump gas and low boost (16 PSI) then you probably don't need to vary much from the nominal or baseline settings. Varying from the baseline Translator settings is a bad thing unless you have a reason....And monitor the changes via a scan tool.....And, have an idea what you are doing ;)

What I mean to say is that you need to find where the baseline fuel and boost and timing was set in that extender chip to make the best decisions for your tune. Too much fuel will end up in your crankcase mixed with your oil -A very bad thing. Running lean will risk blowing a head gasket -Also a very bad thing. The former owner may know the parameters used to order your extender chip.

You can download a manual for the T+ here. The manual is difficult to comprehend for someone of my limited intelligence, but study the manuals and it will help.

You can post in this Full Throttle Forum for specific questions about the T+ and the best experts will respond with the right answers. When you see a post by TurboBob, believe what he says, he invented the T+ and subsequent improvements.

:)

Hey, to join in, when the t+ is set to no change it is just the extender chip's tune. I have -4 degrees timing wot set on mine, bringing it to 19/17. This works fine on 15#, but any higher and it will knock a few degrees. I have fueling unchanged, 45# fuel pressure , and the o2's are generally in range despite a few vacuum leaks I cant readily fix ( throttle body bushings, etc). Another note, my chip is for pump gas and alky but I have the alky disabled now. I think if I had a strictly pump gas chip I would pick up a lot at this low boost.

Thanks for joining in Mr. 12lbChevelle,

I too have mine set to E...it retards to -4 degrees on the base knob.

You mentioned something interesting, you have a billet fuel regulator...I still have my STOCK fuel regulator, do I need to replace it with a Adjustable unit?
I was told that I don't need to an adjustable unit when using the T+ and Extender chip.

Thanks for the help.:smile: