New GN Owner!!Need Help not Runing!!

Rodney Viers

Hello everyone,I just recently bought a 87 GN off EBay..The previous owner couldn't figure out why the car ran bad and the check engine light was on..I got the car home this weekend and cleaned it out and washed it..I trailered the car home from out of state and drove it for the first time yesterday.It drove around the block but it wouldn't let you accelerate nor speed up..Ive had two other GN growing up and it feels like a mass air problem..I looked under the hood and it has a lt1 style mass air.The other owner said they tried all kinds of stuff to fix the problem(scares me,lol) and could not figure it out.The check engine light is on and the car stalls sometimes when idling and when you put it in drive, but restarts..It smells like it is running extremely rich..The chip he said is a turbotweak for the injectors that are in it(36lbs) and was for the unit.My question is where do I start!!!Buying another persons problem is scary, I know....But I got the car at a decent price and she deserves to run again..Any comment wont go unnoticed,I work a lot so weekends are my only time to tinker with it..Please help guys!

Hello everyone,I just recently bought a 87 GN off EBay..The previous owner couldn't figure out why the car ran bad and the check engine light was on..I got the car home this weekend and cleaned it out and washed it..I trailered the car home from out of state and drove it for the first time yesterday.It drove around the block but it wouldn't let you accelerate nor speed up..Ive had two other GN growing up and it feels like a mass air problem..I looked under the hood and it has a lt1 style mass air.The other owner said they tried all kinds of stuff to fix the problem(scares me,lol) and could not figure it out.The check engine light is on and the car stalls sometimes when idling and when you put it in drive, but restarts..It smells like it is running extremely rich..The chip he said is a turbotweak for the injectors that are in it(36lbs) and was for the unit.My question is where do I start!!!Buying another persons problem is scary, I know....But I got the car at a decent price and she deserves to run again..Any comment wont go unnoticed,I work a lot so weekends are my only time to tinker with it..Please help guys!
Find out your fuel pressure.You will need translator if your running a ls1 or lt1 MAF sensor.Do you have any pics to post? Good luck.

Post up some pictures of your engine.
In your signature here on the board, list your setup and mods, to the best of your ability. Folks here can use that as a jump off point to help you.
Your issue(s) could be something simple that folks here have seen a hundred times.
Also, if you have a scanmaster, post the numbers it is showing. If you don't have a scanmaster, get one. Best accessory for the car to diagnose issues.
Good luck.
M

Sorry guys took so long to get back!Very busy week with holidays.I did notice a translator by l/h wheel well,it looks old and ratty..I haven't pulled the codes yet,put her right in the garage when I got home last weekend..Should I pull them through the factory ecm from the connector by the center console?I will diffently take pics and post them on this thread so we can all try to figure out this mess.I didn't have time but I plan on tomorrow to spend some time writing down all the stuff I see.I noticed a old school hotwire kit that looked like it was from the late nineties,lol...The mass air looks like a lt1 style for sure!The previous owner replaced a lot of factory sensors like iac,tps,and some others looking to solve the problem..He gave me a pretty detailed write up on his experience with the car and some receipts(going through them tonight)but he couldn't figure it out!That is why I got the car at a decent price..I thank you guys in advance for your patients with me..I will have a excellent write up tomorrow and pics tomorrow night..Can I post pics being a new member?

No I do not have a scanmaster,I just bought the car last Saturday..It snowed here bad today but I spent a little while in the garage today looking under the hood..I took a couple pictures of the engine compartment but I haven't loaded anything up..The translator receipt was with the box of paperwork the previous owner gave me..It was bought in 2004 from a shop here in mich..its called translator plus..It looks very old showing its age!I haven't opened it up yet to look inside..But I will tomorrow..the wire looked good to and from maf..the injectors look weird..I found a receipt from turbo tweak in the box also for a turbotweak classic chip v5.7..on the printout from turbo tweak said the injectors are part#: 0 280 155 868..dont know what those are..the rest is just a stock buick gn write up..I haven't pulled any codes either,will I need a a scan tool?..I used to pull codes with the old paper clip trick back in the day but I work at a dealer ship now so ill just have one of my techs run a snap on tool for it..LOr I might just bring the scanner home and pull codes..

My question tonight is,there something I can check in the maf to see if it is peforming?I wish I had a stock maf to hook up to this car so I could know..tomorrow im going to let it warm up and check tps voltage,inside the translator box,and look at all wires closer..Is there anything else I should take a look at?Should I reset the ecm?

Just an FYI, I've run a translator + and an LT1 Maf for over 10 years and never had any issues with it.

The group will be better able to help you once you've got the codes. Paperclip is fine tonget the codes

I just changed my profile,sorry..This is my new account...I'm sure this will destroy my thread but ill just start a new one tomorrow,maybe...I didn't fill out the profile th right way..I will pull codes tomorrow morning and get back to everyone..Thanks for your help guys,im glad to be on here..

10 years!! That's great!!The maf looks clean,im just worried about the translator..Is there anyway to test one?Maybe I could check voltage or something?The Turbo Tweak paperwork gives the instructions on how to set the switches inside..Should I unplug the maf while the car is running to see if it idles better?

Open the Translator to see if it got wet and has corrosion in it.

Open the Translator to see if it got wet and has corrosion in it.
That's true, have heard some with issues since they got moisture inside. I know the tap test works on the stock maf. Sorry don't know how to test the newer style

Thanks guys,ill look at it for sure tomorrow..The only reason I keep thinking its the maf is because my old GN the maf went out and acted just like this one..But who knows whats been dampered with on this car..

...The only reason I keep thinking its the maf is because my old GN the maf went out and acted just like this one..

As Roc87 stated, the LT1 MAFs with Translator are pretty reliable compared to the older original style MAFs. Set the TPS and IAC as stated earlier, then pull the codes via your favorite method-paperclip or scanner.

Save your pennies for a Scanmaster. It is almost a requirement for diagnostics on this car and will be used repeatedly throughout the life of the car.

Ok guys,Ive been out in the garage today tinkering with the GN and maybe have found the problem!!I set the tps to .49 and 4.81 at wot..When I went to take the translator apart I went ahead and gave it the famous tap test and the car nearly stalled!I took the four screws out and did a visual inspection and it looked clean inside.The switches were 3 on 1 off and there was no corrosion inside..I put it bac together and restarted the car and as it was idling I lightly tapped it on the washer bottle cap and it idled down and ran rough only to return to normal idle..I did this about five times and it did it everytime..Does anyone think it may be faulty?I'm about to pull the codes in a sec and Ill post my results..

Who sells a new style translator?Im probally going to buy a scanmaster at the same time..Any suggestions?

Fullthrottlespeed.com, Kirbans and most of the supporting vendors have them. Might want to consider getting a Powerlogger at the same time. It piggybacks the ECM for hooking up a laptop and allows data logging and viewing all PIDs at once. Plus, it has a update chip for the Scanmaster that allows it to read off the powerlogger and reads way faster. First 2 items I bought for my GN last year. Saved me a couple times being able to look back at why it wasn't running right.