New GN owner, looking for Tune-up advice

Freedster

Hello all!

New to the board. Just bought my 87 GN on Saturday and it sits next to my 70 GS-455 in my garage. It took awhile, but I finally convinced the Fiancee that Buicks are better than that derned SHO she was driving.

Anyway, the GN I bought is very original. I mean REALLY original. Like, former owner didn't do much maintenance, bushings are worn out and still has the factory-installed plug wires original. It's got a bit of a miss at idle, and there's a bit of a ping/tap noise when I get my foot into it. I figure that both of these could be caused by any combination of several possible maladies, but I was wondering what some of the experts out there would check first.

I figured I would start with plugs and wires, and would go through the whole "spring cleaning" list detailed on ttype.org as a good place to start. Considering the ping/tap could be caused by carbon buildup, I was planning on putting it through a top end cleaner regimen too, since there is really no harm in that, and it is well within the scope of my limited mechanical abilities.

So, all of that having been said, what would you try?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

- Freed

Sounds like your on the right track. spring cleaning, top engine cleaner is good ideal also.

I would consider comp 979 v. springs and replaceing nylon timing gear. I'm changing my right now, to my surprise there was a crack in the gear, completly cracked.:eek:

List your goals with the car and I'm sure you will be advised.

Spring cleaning,clean injectors, invest in scan tool,boost,fuel and
knock gauge, good chip :cool: .

Hi Freedster,

Welcome and great combo of cars you have there!;) I've seen you on the other board too.

I'd definitely hook a scan tool up to it and check MAF readings with and without engine running. That hiccup could be a MAF crapping out. May be as simple as a plug or wire. Replace those first off. You are on the right track as someone said. Lots of help here to get that GN running as it should. Great group of knowledgeable folks here to help you out.

Definetly get a scan tool, if your not going to race or mod the car atleast get a scanmaster just to keep things in check. Goodluck and let the fun begin!

Do everything everyone else said and also get a new upgraded fuel pump. All the vendors have them. Walbro 307 is nice.

Have your coil pack checked too. Don't let it knock much. and get the boost gauge and scan tool!

Have fun.

Mark F.
87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Originally posted by fitz3820
Do everything everyone else said and also get a new upgraded fuel pump. All the vendors have them. Walbro 307 is nice.

Have your coil pack checked too. Don't let it knock much. and get the boost gauge and scan tool!

Have fun.

Mark F.
87 GN 11.9 @ 115

I've been keeping it under 2500 RPM and off boost. I figure I'll have a hard time grenading the motor that way. I tell ya though, the urge to floor it is killing me! :mad:

I've got a suitable laptop to go with the car, so I will probably be purchasing the scan tool as soon as I can get it pushed through "the finance committee".

Thanks to all for the advice. Glad I'm on the right track.

- Freed