new gn need help

van460

have a 86 gn, bought from buddy. has lots of bolt on upgrades. this is all new to me so please help. noticed lastnight the ultrachip he has only runs the best at 2 setting about 14.6 boost anything above this setting the car will buck and spit and spark knock, but will boost higher. not sure what this is. have checked fuel have set at 46-47 pounds at idle was told to set there. has te44c turbo with adj wastegate and about 3/4 threads are showing after locnut is this close or not, im sure he just put it on. give me some advice 42.5 inj, downpipe, 3in ex, dutt. neck, chip, stock mass, etc. thanks van

Usually the 1st couple of settings are pump gas, low boost & low timing settings.
About 15 psi is all you can exspect on pump gas.
If you go to alky, high octane gas, you can increase the timimg and boost.

fixed

did some tuning today a fixed the problem well put 5 gal of 112 in the tank to start drove on it awhile, but that did not fix problem still 14-15 boost was all, so talked to buddy who has turbo on ford lightning and he thought i was putting the spark out on plug, made since. pulled plugs they were at 45 or so gap put set of r43ts little colder and gapped at 28. i was able to put chip at 5 now about 17-18 pds boost, no miss ,or cough, pop anything. have not went any higher 19-20 boost yet will try tonite. thanks for responce. how about trans, have th350 going to rebuild. have conv out of my other race car 10in nitrous going to send in to redo do you suggest a stall speed for foot brake and my combo? what exactly is a switch pitch conv? wont mine work? thanks

You will need to post transmission question in the transmission section for better response. With your turbo, most have 2800-3000 stall. I'm no help on the other question.

Switch pitch converters were used sometime in the 60's or 70's and actually had 2 stall speeds at the flip of a switch I believe, hence the name. It sounds like a fantastic idea but if it was everyone would be using it. There is something keeping them from widespread use but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps durability.

As far as changing the trans to a TH350, what's wrong with the stock trans and lockup t/c? They are a good match for the overall factory set up even with a TE-44. Plus you can lock up the converter under wide open throttle and gain around 2 tenths and 3 mph or so at the track. Unless there is a problem with the trans I wouldn't mess with a good combo. As you can see in my signature, I've had good luck with them.

200R4 PROBLEMS

I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE STOCK TRANS 1-2 WANT TO SHIFT AT 4000RPM AND THAT IS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE IT IT HAS MIND OF OWN IT HAS 2800 STALL, YOU CAN BUILT TH350 SO CHEEP WAS MY CONCERN. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

It should be shifting at about 5000rpm's, any higher and you aren't making any more power. Have you adjusted the TV cable? Also are you using a scantool for tuning or attempting to do it "by ear"? If the latter, spend the money on a scanmaster or T-Link or DS.

new trans

pulled trans today did the cable adj did not help i dont want to shift at 5000 rpm when just driving around it would not even man shift. so going with th350 get rid of the electric stuff.

You may want to at least hold on the the stock 200r4, just in case you change your mind. My original trans has 145k miles on it, no rebuilds. They are a very durable unit, and if you ever sell the car, you will have to discount it if you are not supplying the correct trans. It would be sad to see a GN lose its correct trans for good just because it is not shifting correctly.

keeping it

going to keep it, they are just so expensive to build. i dont trust anyone around here to build it.