NEW GM LIFTERS<> to soak or not to soak in oil?

BLACKHAWK38

ENGINE EXPERTS WHATS IS THE SKINNY ON prep of new GM HYDRAULIC VALVE LIFTERS 5234485 (12) for putting together rebuilt engine ?

REGARDS<> Blackhawk38 another 340 fuel pump off victim

Originally posted by BLACKHAWK38
ENGINE EXPERTS WHATS IS THE SKINNY ON prep of new GM HYDRAULIC VALVE LIFTERS 5234485 (12) for putting together rebuilt engine ?

REGARDS<> Blackhawk38 another 340 fuel pump RIP off victim

If you put assy lube on them and make sure you prime the motor and VERIFY oil at each rocker, then I see no reason to soak them IMHO.

If they fill with oil with no pushrod in the cup, the plunger will be resting against the snap ring. The trapped oil will not compress (unless you wait days to start the motor). This will prevent the valve from closing fully. Over time, spring pressure and natural leakage out of the lifter will eventually cause the plunger to return to normal operation. I would say no.

I always soak and hand prime lifters. Unless you like the sound of valve train clatter, there is no reason not to prime. The lifters will preload just fine. You wouldn't dry start any other part of your engine, why would you dry start the lifters?

Everyone has their own technique. This is mine.

Good luck!

lifters

Hi,
Ditto the Tow man. I always prime the lifters I install. I can't see as an internally dry lifter is a good idea. When I was young, dumn, and full of myself, I had one stay collapsed. Now I pay attention to that kind of thing!
Dale

So you guys are priming it with a pushrod? They aren't sponges. A general dip in oil will not hurt but isn't the preferred method. How do you measure preload with the lifters fully pumped up and more importantly how are your measurements with them all pumped up and valves open?

I totally submerge the lifter in oil then pump the plunger by hand slowly with a pushrod until air bubbles disappear.

The hand primed lifters are no match for the forces of the valve spring. With the lifter sitting on the base circle of the cam, (valve closed) tighten the rocker nut until the rocker just comes in contact with the pushrod and has no slack. Then place a dial indicator on top of the rocker above the pushrod and tighten the nut until the you reach the recommended preload.

You can't measure preload with the cam in the valve open position. Adjustable rockers need to be done one at a time, at zero lift, turning the engine over as necessary.

I would soak them. Been doing it on all my rebuilds for years and have had good luck. I put them in a cup and let them soak over night. I still use the assembly lube from GM.

Good luck