New DBB turbo: Bearings audible while driving?

callmeebryan

Just went to do a drive around the block with the new turbo installed... its a ITS 70 DBB. The turbo was just rebuilt and i bought it on the boards from Ray Fletcher.

So i drove out onto the main road and gave it 1/4ish throttle just enough to start making boost, and i can "hear" the bearings in the turbo as it starts to spool up. The best way i can describe it is like the ball in a paint can when you swing it around, but not as loud.

I know the turbo is getting sufficient oil supply because i had my father start the car for only a second with the oil feed line off and oil came flying through the line.

Is it normal to hear some bearing noise like that? Also, would like to note that the turbo continues to spin (as expected) after engine shut off, i would say for about 25-30 seconds or so rough estimate.

Yes I believe others have noted a distinct sound from the turbo and yes they move so freely that they will "spin down" once the engine is shut off, leading some people to install pre/post lubrication set-ups.

Can't hear it when driving, personally. But I DO hear it spin down after shut off.

The 6152bb can definetly be heard after shut down, like you said about 20-30sec after the engine is shut off. Could not hardly believe it the first time I noticed it.

my t66dbb spin down time was 1:01 minutes from an idel, awsome!

i replayed the video for like 30 minutes while ironing, im a fein!!

DS

I have a DBB ITS rebuilt GT70 turbo.

I think roller skate bearing sounds would be normal if you were close to it, as well as the 747 wheel sound when spooling.

Ball in a paint can doesn't sound too good however especially from inside the car. :(

Who rebuilt it now that ITS is out of business? :confused:

Shutting it off from idle in the driveway you can hear the bearings spin down for a bit. Sounds like dual ball bearings should, clickity clack, nice and even, and getting slower and slower.

Mine is and ITS also,but doesn't make noises like what you are describing while driving. I do have the spin down noise and ball bearing noise when shut off. I also love the 747 sound when spooling. Who did the rebuild?

Mine is and ITS also,but doesn't make noises like what you are describing while driving. I do have the spin down noise and ball bearing noise when shut off. I also love the 747 sound when spooling. Who did the rebuild?

COMP turbo (formally the guys from ITS) rebuilt the turbo...

It has a 90-day warrentee from the rebuild so i am going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.