New Carry..

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Picked a Kimber Solo Carry STS 9mm to replace my Kimber Ultra Carry II .45.

6 months ago I put $ down and had been waiting for a Sig P938 Equinox.

Took so long I went to another shop and they had a P938 and the Solo. Solo was over $300 more, but when comparing them the Kimber won out with its smooth edges and sleek feel. The Sig is great, but felt square and clunky.

Anybody got a Solo?

Attachments

• IMAG1877.jpg
    IMAG1877.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 135
Sweet piece. Why are you giving up the 45 for the 9? I will be looking for ccw piece soon and almost definitely wana go .45 and i really like the kimbers. I'd love to see a pic of the two of them side by side if ya can. Thanks and enjoy!

-Rich

Funny y
Sweet piece. Why are you giving up the 45 for the 9? I will be looking for ccw piece soon and almost definitely wana go .45 and i really like the kimbers. I'd love to see a pic of the two of them side by side if ya can. Thanks and enjoy!

-Rich

Funny you ask..I took this pic the other day.

The .45 is just to big and heavy for everyday carry imo. I wanted to be able to throw it in a side pocket of cargo shorts. The Ultra Carry II I have is only 25 ounces, but when you add 7-8 .45s it gets heavy. I wanted a 'healthy' caliber and smaller so I waited for the P938 and once comparing it to the Solo in person it was a no brainer for me. Worth the extra $.

Attachments

• IMAG1878.jpg
    IMAG1878.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 107
Cool. Both really nice pieces. I will have to check out some stuff and look into it a little more but i really like the kimbers and a .45 carry would be ideal. enjoy!

Rich

I've shot a friends Solo and it's a nice shooting piece, but it doesn't like 115gr. at all! It needs atleast 124gr., but if I was EDC'ing it I would probably have some 147gr. in it. I wouldn't mind having one of the "new" Solo DC with the DLC finish!

I've shot a friends Solo and it's a nice shooting piece, but it doesn't like 115gr. at all! It needs atleast 124gr., but if I was EDC'ing it I would probably have some 147gr. in it. I wouldn't mind having one of the "new" Solo DC with the DLC finish!

Yes, Kimber recommends the heavier premium 124 or 147 grain loads. Has a stiff spring and likes the heavier rounds. I am using the Winchester Subsonic hollow point 147's.. There are quite a few vids of Pro reviews running 115's through with no problems, but I am sure 115's could be a problem so I stick with the recommended rounds.

I would take any color or finish of the Solo. No store here had any in stock except the one I was at had 2 left and they had just got 3 of them in. Both silver. They said if you want it get it. They will be gone by tomorrow.

Yes, Kimber recommends the heavier premium 124 or 147 grain loads. Has a stiff spring and likes the heavier rounds. I am using the Winchester Subsonic hollow point 147's.. There are quite a few vids of Pro reviews running 115's through with no problems, but I am sure 115's could be a problem so I stick with the recommended rounds.

I would take any color or finish of the Solo. No store here had any in stock except the one I was at had 2 left and they had just got 3 of them in. Both silver. They said if you want it get it. They will be gone by tomorrow.

Yes they sell pretty quick around here as well, but I can usually find the STS model much easier above the other models. I almost got the wife one a few weeks back but she wasn't happy with how stiff the mag. release is on them. The bi-tone model that we shot would consistently short-stroke the cycle with 115gr. ammo., and it had plenty of break-in rounds already through it. Steve ended up taking it out of his EDC rotation and replaced it with a Rohrbaugh R9...

K.

Yes they sell pretty quick around here as well, but I can usually find the STS model much easier above the other models. I almost got the wife one a few weeks back but she wasn't happy with how stiff the mag. release is on them. The bi-tone model that we shot would consistently short-stroke the cycle with 115gr. ammo., and it had plenty of break-in rounds already through it. Steve ended up taking it out of his EDC rotation and replaced it with a Rohrbaugh R9...

K.

I looked at the Rohrbaugh R9 back when I ordered the P938. I looked at it again when I got the Solo, but it was $1299 and the Kimber was $989. Since the Solo was over $300 more than the P938 and I already had a Kimber and was happy and the R9 and Solo are so similar I couldn't justify another 3 hunge, but I likey..:D