New AQMD fireplace use law.

injdinjn

Since this only applies to So Cal I decided to post it here to alert all of us under the rule of the AQMD

Kevin's corner (Kevin Jeffries CA State Rep.)
Where There's Smoke... There's Fees & Fines!

Even though the State legislature remains out of session, two state-created agencies have independently decided to make your life either a bit more expensive or a bit more regulated. Coincidentally, both issues revolve around you and fire - one dealing with fires inside your house, and one dealing with fires outside of your home. Let me explain.

First, our friends over at the South Coast Air Quality Management District - you know the bureaucracy that the people do NOT get to directly control or elect, has recently decided that most southern California homeowners with fireplaces need to be put under some additional government oversight to help you avoid making bad choices-like lighting-up your fireplace on a cold winter night!

Yep, operating your wood burning fireplace could soon bring you under the surveillance of the future AQMD Fireplace Police and some hefty fines. As of November 1st, the AQMD has implemented new regulations "asking residents to participate" in their "mandatory no-burn" program (That's really how they phrase it on their website!). The way this works, is that on days when the weather conditions are right/wrong and they judge that the air quality could be harmed, you will be forbidden from using your wood-burning fireplace. You need to check-in before you strike a match. Otherwise, failure to do so could result in a $50 fine or your attendance at a government mandated wood smoke sensitivity course, with the next fine bumping up to $150 and then to $500 for those of you who really don't take orders well.

There are a few exemptions, one of which is for residents living at an elevation over 3,000 feet, or for whom wood is the only heat source. You can review the Check Before You Burn Program here.
http://www.aqmd.gov/healthyhearths
/checkbeforeyouburn.htm

FYI- I recently found out the hard way that new water heaters in the AQMD region cost $90 more than one purchased in Victorville. We are required to use "ULTRA Low NOX" water heaters. Add that to the 5 cents per yard of carpet, 4 cents per qt of oil, plastic bottle fees, $8 and upTV/monitor fees, etc etc.

don't forget.......

they provide financial assistance for illegals to go to school.
but not residents!!!

Just had to remind me didn't you.

Was thinking the same thing... Thanks a lot Lee! J/k.

I am sure you could list the crazy Cali-isms... I try to ignore the silliness and enjoy it, especially when I am sweating in shorts and flip flops talking to my mom who is getting snowed on back in Kansas. :)

Up here they have save the air days, or something like that, where you can't bbq, use a fireplace, etc.

The dumb thing about all these EPA, CARB, AQMD, etc pollution laws is they only affect persons and businesses within their jurisdiction so, businesses move out of their jurisdiction to countries that do not have pollution laws and pollute as much as they want. Net result is the world's pollution is worse because of this. At least here we could have enacted sensible pollution laws instead of profit killing we don't care about your business laws and kept the pollution under some sensible control and eliminated all the pollution from the cargo ships shipping chink junk to us that used to be usable products built here and only incurred local transportation costs. And if most mfg was in the middle of the USA trucks would only be transporting 1000-1500 miles instead of 3000 miles. My local Chinese take out has fortune cookies made in NY NY.Duh.
China's air pollution is landing here in the western US, does China care- no. What is CARB's solution to air pollution from China- enact more tyrannical laws on the residents of CA. No matter how many laws they pass they still will not curb the pollution from China.
The way things are going our position in the world economy will be on par with the rest of the 3rd world toilets. Since WWII Ca has been the powerhouse of US economy - no more. What the spenders in Sac can't see is that this state cannot support their spending on clean jobs alone. The only growing industry is moving cargo and we don't make a ruble off that.
My solution is that we limit imports from countries that enforce pollution and labor laws as stringent as ours. Until we do that we will continue to decline.
End of rant.

Up here they have save the air days, or something like that, where you can't bbq, use a fireplace, etc.

When this crap hits all the big cities, SF, Oakland, SD and LA it could put a real damper on those tailgate parties. Can you imagine the BBQ cops trying to ticket 15,000 tailgaters. The BBQ cops could end up as the main course. Which would probably be a good thing.

I think all of the fireplace owners should band together and go to city hall and join the protesters. We could make up signs, get drunk, do whatever drugs are around and talk about the good old days. Is this new regulation is job security for AQMD?

The other exemption is if there is no natural gas infrastructure within 150 ft of your property... Not even close here, guess I'm happy for the 'pig' in my yard.

When we all get laid off out here, we can then apply for the low income waiver. The new Depression, it's coming.