new 61.5 mm GTX billet wheel hot air turbo by Reed at Work

Last edited:
How much bigger and efficient is this wheel compared to the old 60-1 wheel?
The 60-1 is a great wheel, even though it is ~25 year old technology. It is a very good "high volume" compressor despite its age. My personal '87 has one on it to this day....hard to beat for a "street" car! I ran 7.18 @ 99.7 to the 1/8th with 60-1/ptrim .63 turbo on 14 psi....was totally out of injectors (42.5's) at that boost. Made 398 whp and 564 tq on a dynojet. I am going to test the new turbo from this post on my intercooled car as soon as I have it back together this fall. We have engine management and Injector Dynamics ID-1000's now, fuel will not be an issue anymore.

IMO....Reed is one of best in the buick world. Top notch service and a quality product. Kudos.

Anxious to hear/see the results of your new turbo Toby. Looks pretty badass.
Thanks for the kudos...I really love to get back to my roots and try new things with these cars...hopefully mine will be up and going later this year, I miss the ol' girl. Owning mine since I was just out of high school in 93, and it still gets my interest and imagination going after all these years...lol.

Thanks for the kudos...I really love to get back to my roots and try new things with these cars...hopefully mine will be up and going later this year, I miss the ol' girl. Owning mine since I was just out of high school in 93, and it still gets my interest and imagination going after all these years...lol.
Be cool to see yours in action. Hopefully, I will have some hp numbers from the 6468 you made for me to post up soon. Made 402rwhp on the dyno and ran a 7.61@89 in the 1/8 with it last year with a host of valve train issues, a mismatched converter, and a leaky intake....got it all sorted out now and I'm just waiting to schedule the dyno time and for the track to reopen....(y)

The turbo reed did for me was able to make alittle over 600hp. At 20 to 21psi on e85 on my hotair

The 60-1 is a great wheel, even though it is ~25 year old technology. It is a very good "high volume" compressor despite its age. My personal '87 has one on it to this day....hard to beat for a "street" car! I ran 7.18 @ 99.7 to the 1/8th with 60-1/ptrim .63 turbo on 14 psi....was totally out of injectors (42.5's) at that boost. Made 398 whp and 564 tq on a dynojet. I am going to test the new turbo from this post on my intercooled car as soon as I have it back together this fall. We have engine management and Injector Dynamics ID-1000's now, fuel will not be an issue anymore.
Didn't exactly answer my question Reed.

Didn't exactly answer my question Reed.
60-1 is ~59mm inducer and 75mm exducer, maximum flow was around 60#/min...I do not have an efficiency rating for this wheel...but my guess would be in the 74-75% range at its best.
The 62mm MFS wheel is 62.5mm inducer, 82.5mm exducer, peak flow is just shy of 75#/min and peak efficiency is 78%. This wheel also has a useable pressure ratio of 3.5:1, compared to the 60-1's 2.6:1.

The compressor housing is ultimately going to choke this wheel from making its full potential...only some real world testing will tell us exactly how far it will go. Let me know what else I can help you with Charlie!

Since this has turned into a great tech thread for us hot air folk...let me ask a couple questions. We are putting a nice wheel into a factory housing. If we were to modify the turbo compressor housing to the 87 style what would this entail? Placing a new bell housing outlet I am assuming? Would the difference in height make the turbo hit the hood? Is it even worth investigating? Because through all my trials and tribulations I am going to be sending off another "part 2 turbo" to mess around to get one that agrees with all that I have done...let's say fishing. However, I have heard that is doesnt matter what you do with the turbo that even a ported champion intake will restrict the air being pushed by the turbo.

I have the champion intake also. My car is performing well. I am in the high 11's Last time at track. Was. 12.10/11.93/11.91/11.87

This is a catch 22 Toby. The smaller housing of the turbo causes the air to heat up faster so a larger housing would reduce the heating. Any time you compres air it gets heated up, but if you take a large housing and wheel then you get more volume at a lower pressure, which is basically the same as increasing the boost level with a smaller turbo but ithe larger unit won't heat the air as much.

Charlie,

So Reed's new wheel and explanation makes sense to me now. Smaller housing would heat up, wheel makes the discharge temps cooler. It seems this may be a good best of both worlds scenario.

While the larger wheel moves more air at a lower speed, it will still heat up, but not as much. That's why alky and E-85 are great for the HA cars. The alky drops the temp by evaporation so the air's denser. I still say injecting alky before the turbo is the best because the liquid cuts the temp of the wheel and the air at the same time, droping the temps even lower than if you do it post torbo.

While the larger wheel moves more air at a lower speed, it will still heat up, but not as much. That's why alky and E-85 are great for the HA cars. The alky drops the temp by evaporation so the air's denser. I still say injecting alky before the turbo is the best because the liquid cuts the temp of the wheel and the air at the same time, droping the temps even lower than if you do it post torbo.

We have found that very small amounts of methanol pre turbo works well, but you have to be very careful about the amounts and making sure it is the most homogenous mixture possible. You essentially want the cooling effect with zero liquid present by the time it reaches the compressor. I would love to study this and push it to the maximum...I have seen several high dollar approaches to this over the years...after the turbo is game on for maximum power, if it was possible to run methanol as my primary fuel 100% of the time I would :D

We have found that very small amounts of methanol pre turbo works well, but you have to be very careful about the amounts and making sure it is the most homogenous mixture possible. You essentially want the cooling effect with zero liquid present by the time it reaches the compressor. I would love to study this and push it to the maximum...I have seen several high dollar approaches to this over the years...after the turbo is game on for maximum power, if it was possible to run methanol as my primary fuel 100% of the time I would :D
I'll see if I can dig up the info for running pre-turbo Reed. Might want to do a little reading over at ENG-TIPS forums. It's not just engineers and it's got some great info. At one time I had a vid of a ford 4 banger and when they turned on the nozzle it looked like a flood. Our group is a minority in running the alky post turbo.

I am running a 5 gph nozzle pre turbo. I have it plumbed just behind the air filter at the core support. At 24 psi with outside temps about 70 My IAT peaked at about 195 in my last 1/4 mile pass