New 275/60/15 Nittos are PHAT!!!

Maybe tomorrow at work if all the digital cameras aren't stolen already.

Need a place to host them however.....

Originally posted by salvageV6
Will try to get a better measurement of the midpoint if we have large jaw calipers available.
you can do a pretty accurate measurement of section width of mounted tires by using a pair of metal carpenter's squares. Hold one pair of legs on top of each other, the remaining set of legs will act as "jaws" . The jaws measuring the tires will be be parallel. This may sound more complicated than it really is.

I'm really surprised you're having trouble with rubbing with an 8" rim and 3.5" backspace. I had my 275/60 DRs mounted on stock rims and they rubbed the frame rail A LOT. Air bags don't do much 'cause it's a side-to-side thang rather than an up-n-down thang.

I put them on 8" Draglites w/ 3.5" BS and they're perfect. I'm not sure if the Nittos are wider, but they shouldn't be taller. Pics are here (if the links don't work let me know - working bugs out of my server configuration):

http://www.jimmyz.net/weld_dr_01.jpg
http://www.jimmyz.net/weld_dr_02.jpg
http://www.jimmyz.net/weld_dr_03.jpg

Pics on stock rims are here:
http://www.jimmyz.net/gntint.html

They're not Nittos, but it will show you how a 28" tall tire looks on your car. I wasn't crazy about the jacked-up 70's Camaro look, either, but it gives the car a means-business look IMO.

Jim

Jim put the molding back on your car and let me know if they rub. ;)

Couldn't tell if the lips are rolled either on your car?

Mine is stock with the molding.

Most of the cameras have disappeared there may be one left out there I will check soon.

Tires are on the car so the inside measurement device has to clear the shock mount area.

Got about 4-5 inches to work in there. ;)

Measured the section width more accurately from the midpoint of the tire while mounted.

I'd go with 11 inches to be most accurate. 30 psi. in the tires. :)

Our one camera is being used today. :(

Jim put the molding back on your car and let me know if they rub. ;)

Couldn't tell if the lips are rolled either on your car?

Mine is stock with the molding.

Most of the cameras have disappeared there may be one left out there I will check soon.

Tires are on the car so the inside measurement device has to clear the shock mount area.

Got about 4-5 inches to work in there. ;)

Ah yes, the molding. One of those loose ends I never finished after I had the car repainted. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the new 1/4s. They're not rolled, though.

With some weight in the car and under the right conditions, I think they will rub. Today was the first time I've really been out and about. I had a 200+ lb passenger and did some driving on some uneven gravel road. It was TIGHT, but no contact. If I get a decent launch at the track the rear just might squat enough to make a difference. I may roll the edges just to be safe (rolling is okay, drilling is not...I think).

Jim

i think you guys with rubbing issies need to invest in better springs. i have 275-60 bf-drags mounted on 8" rims with 3 3/4" backspacing. even with my 325 pound friend in the car it never rubs. i can put a closed fist between the fender lip and the tire. i think i could easliy fit a 29" slick if i wanted to. i have cottons hd rear springs, 1.69 short times on the dr's.

Springs are Moog cargo coils. Bilstein shocks. 8 years old.

Got the golf clubs, toolbox and stereo equipment in the trunk like any other daily driven car. ;)

As I previously said 3 3/4" backspacing will definately allow a lot more clearance to the edge of the molding.

They don't fit all that well on a driver with 3.5" backspacing and an 8" rim. Really. :D

They don't fit all that well on a driver with 3.5" backspacing and an 8" rim. Really. :D

I'm starting to come to that realization, too. They haven't rubbed yet, but I think I'm gonna roll the edges just in case. This problem is better than the problem I had with the stock rims rubbing the frame, tho.

As mentioned, the extra 1/4" does a lot for you with a 28" tall tire. It's probably pretty close to optimal backspace. No Draglites in 3.75", though, so I have 3.5".

Jim

actually, they fit great on my car with no rubbing with an 8 inch wheel and 3 and a half backspacing. i guess im just lucky for once.:D

I'm looking to buy some new tires. It's a toss up between the Nittos and BFG Drag Radials. 275/50/15. Which ones will hook up the best?

I just had my first rubbage.

Stock wheels and tires in trunk, toddler son in the back.

I went over this ridiculous hump in the road. They just paved it - I can't believe they left it that way. Anyhow, it's a big ledge, I hit it uneven. Little rubbing on the RH rear.

Maybe with a little air in the air bags and not as much weight it will be okay for now.

Jim

Guys,

Speaking of rear springs, I need to replace mine and did a search of old posts and found a lot of members using the cargo coils or the 5379(stock) springs. Any recommendations? I'll look into the springs Cotton sells, but if they are just Moog I can get them locally.

Thanks,

Chuck