New 275/60/15 Nittos are PHAT!!!

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Well they are also FAT too.

Only got about an inch of room between the tire to the top edge of the fenderwell molding lip.

How much room are others getting? 3.5" backspace on an 8" rim.

How much suspension travel do we get back there on a daily driver? Using Bilsteins and Moog cargo coils.

Pumped up the air bags to 5 left and 12 right for the drive to work tomorrow, lots of construction going on too.

Might be a Nascar pit stop day for a cut tire. :(

Got a good fat fingers worth of room on the inside just the outer edge that is questionable.

Made it to work.

Car looks like a 70's Camaro with air shocks. :rolleyes:

Rides like a school bus now.

Hopefully they will work at the track. :)

Somebody has got to be running these phat things and can type a few lines. ;)

Any scraping?

Last chance for ttt. :)

i got em installed the other day and they didnt seem to be rubbing,after about 5 minutes of driving my freakin alternator took a dump and im waiting right now for a new one. they are big ass tires though.:D

Salvagev6

I run a bfg 275/60-15 with 4.5" back spacing. My car is lowerd and the tire sit up in side the fender a good ways. I had to roll the lip on the out side and it is close to the frame on the inside. I am considering the Nittos and wanted to know what the section width is on a 8" wheel.

Thanks
Joe Cook

Thanks Eric. :)

Thanks TurboT mine don't rub either, yet, just wondering how much room you had with the stock molding in place?

And Joe as soon as I find out what exactly section width is I will try and measure it for ya. :)

Lotsa people confuse backspacing, offset etc. so I will check out section width.

I've had mine a couple of weeks now. Mounted on the stock GN rims. I have airbags but no air in them and they don't rub even with 2 people in the back.:D
I haven't made it to the track yet , too hot. Hopefully when it cools down to the 80's in november I'll see how they do.

Jeff

I have had them for a couple of months now. Stock rim, no air bags and no rubbing. Did not have to mess with anything. Have not been to the track yet but have adminstered some smack downs around town. I love em:D

Ron

Just installed the Nittos on my '86 T-Type. Yes, they're pretty tall! Not too wild about the "hunting dog" stance personally, but it's sorta growing on me. Slight rub on L.R. lip w 8" / 3.5" backspacing. 3" taller @ rear bumper than my '87 G.N.

salvagev6

I sure would appreciate it if you would. Section width is the distance from the side wall bulge across the width of the tire to the other side wall bulge. The total width of the tire, not just the tread width.

thanks
Joe Cook

Okay Joe I will measure them tomorrow. :cool:

Out driving on them tonight to my buddy's house in Wallingford, CT.

Rub big time on 2 lane twisty wellpaved farmland back roads, with bumps.

That's 40-50 acre CT farms for you real farmers. :)

Anyhoo one side had 12 psi. in the airbag and only hit once, the other side (drivers) has 4 psi. and rubs more often.

Not for use for me on a daily driver with 8" rim and 3.5" backspacing. Maybe 3.75" would work better if it didn't hit the frame rails.

Mine hit the outer lip.

I will leave them on until race day and then go back to the old Nittos 275/50/15.

Should be no problem for show cars and driving to and from the track without changing them.

Doubting they will work well on a daily used car.

Just my .02 and boy this thread really picked up. :D

GNSS,

This is Chuck with the white '87 Turbo-T where did you get your Nittos and how much? My car has been in the paint shop for 2 months and is almost done. I'm looking forward to some cool track nights. My 3 year old Nittos are just about gone.lol

That's where I got mine too. Free shipping did it for me.

Too bad the fit ain't so good. Good excuse to roll the fenderwell lips however.

Hey Chuck,
I ordered them through discount tire on Bevelle rd. in Daytona.
Like the other guys said, $141.00 on the Nitto web site with free shipping. I took the rims up to Discount and had them mounted and balanced with new stems out the door for $312.xx.

Jeff

Tall in the back normal in the front with 235/60/15 up front.

Section width measured 285mm which is 11.2 inches at the lower part of the tire where the weight bulge is.

Had to use parallel straight edges along each sidewall to get the measurement. I think we have large calipers at work that may do the job better.

The 275/50/15 measured 268mm which is 10.5" no bulge they were off the car.

Hope that helps a bit. Will try to get a better measurement of the midpoint if we have large jaw calipers available.

Sure do wish they fit better.

Can someone post some comparison shots of the 50 and 60 series Nittos from the side and some towards the back? That would be good.:D