Need tips on replacing the rear valve cover gasket...PLEASE HELP!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I have a badly leaking rear valve cover gasket on my dad's 1999 regal GS, and he has enlisted me to replace it for him tomorrow. I got to looking around the engine bay and there is NOT much room to work back there. Are there any tips, tricks, or secrets to removing/replacing the rear valve cover gasket on this motor? Any special tools needed or nice to have to make the job easier??

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!! TIA

Have you had the spark plug wire channel recall done? If you haven't take it to the dealer. They have to replace valve cover gaskets as part of the recall.

Have you had the spark plug wire channel recall done? If you haven't take it to the dealer. They have to replace valve cover gaskets as part of the recall.

I'm not sure, I'll ask dad if he has had it in for that. By any chance do you happen to know the recall # or specifically the name of the recall?

I'm not sure, I'll ask dad if he has had it in for that. By any chance do you happen to know the recall # or specifically the name of the recall?

Not off the top of my head. Threw it away when i got it done.

If your doing the VC yourself you can take the bolt out of dog bones and use a come along strap to pull the engine forward this will give you the room to do the VC.

There ya go. Have the dealership do it free. Then if it leaks again it is their fault.