Need some input (about my stolen T-Typel, I think it was recovered).

kenny

No turbo, no care.
Just to see what would turn up, I ran an autocheck on the car today. Found out some odd information, and before I start calling/killing people I’d like to hear other input and maybe figure out why this information would be on the autocheck.

The car was stolen in Oct. of 2003. I settled with the insurance company sometime late Dec. of 2003 (bank records show I deposited the check from the insurance company the 22nd of Dec).

The autocheck showed the car as being reissued a title Jan, 06, 2004 – as salvage and damaged. That seems normal, as I had to give my insurance company the title so I could get the cash.

What doesn’t seem normal is that on Feb 23, 2004 the car was reissued another title (complete with new number) as a “exceeds mechanical limits”, but no salvage and no damage.

Is it just me, or is the only reason that would happen simply because the car was recovered?

I made sure to tell BOTH the insurance company AND the police department to make a note in the file to contact me if ANYTHING were to turn up on the car. I’ve never heard ANYTHING from either.

Now, how to go about digging up more info. I’m thinking calling the insurance company first, and Newark Motor Vehicle Dept. (where both titles were issued) second.

This is the autocheck,
Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
03/30/1996 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
04/22/1997 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
03/14/1998 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
06/14/1999 COLUMBUS, OH 12,360 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:2503455243)
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS
07/07/1999 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
01/14/2000 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
04/03/2001 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/28/2001 HILLIARD, OH 34,230 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:2504904252)
08/28/2001 HILLIARD, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
02/07/2002 HILLIARD, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
07/16/2002 COLUMBUS, OH 40,264 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:2505494467)
07/17/2002 COLUMBUS, OH 40,265 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:2505496671)
07/17/2002 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
10/03/2002 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
09/30/2003 COLUMBUS, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
01/06/2004 NEWARK, OH 52,000 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:4500867526)
SALVAGE
DAMAGED
02/23/2004 NEWARK, OH Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:4500879372)

Thanks in advance. :)

Originally posted by kenny

What doesn’t seem normal is that on Feb 23, 2004 the car was reissued another title (complete with new number) as a “exceeds mechanical limits”, but no salvage and no damage.

Is it just me, or is the only reason that would happen simply because the car was recovered?

I'm not sure about the title laws in other states, but in Illinois when you buy or sell a car you're supposed to put the mileage on the title, before sending it to the state to get the new title. After the car is 10 years old, IIRC, you are no longer required to put the mileage, and it has similar verbiage to "exceeds mechanical limits".

It's probably because the laws were made long ago, when most cars didn't make it to 10 years old, or that the odometer usually reset after 100,000 miles, and "exceeds mechanical limits", I guess.

Of course, in your case the theft recovery could've affected things too...

Pete

When I bought the car, it already had over 100k miles, so it already had an exceeds mechanical limits title.

I'm pretty sure it's not required to list milage, but it was always listed with the past three owners (all of which I've met, one I still talk to).

Even tho you told them you would want to be contacted if the car was found, once you turned that title over to the insurance company they could care less about you and the car if found. I use to work for State Farm picking up recovered thef autos. If found and in decent shape after the insured was paid off it goes to a holding yard. There the insurance company looks over the car and check to see if they can figure out if it was fraud or really stolen. Then they figure out what the car is worth at auction or as salvage junk. If they think they can get some money for it, It then is towed to a auction house they deal with and sold to the highest bidder. Next thing you know the car passes you down the highway. You can call the insurance company but they could care less about you and the car. The only way you could possibly get a car back is if they find the car BEFORE you are paid off and hand over the title. I've purchased several beautuful cars thru the insurance company because I would be the first one to see it. I towed several stolen turbo Buicks and tryed to buy a few but they were still kinda new when I was towing so the higher up's in the insurance company's would grab them up cheap for their kids or to resell their self. Most likely your car was found with minimal damage. IE: wheels missing, radio gone, some body parts missing. They would rather blow it out at an auction house then be bothered with haggling with the previous owner. It sucks but all the insurance companys are pretty much the same way with stolen autos. Just write it off and pretend it's gone forever. :(

Awww sh!t looks like me and kenny will be heading to Jersey for some night time black ops.

I have heard that they (the low life scum thieves) will strip a car and buy the shell at and auction as "salvage" and put it back together since they have all the parts. In NY, you have to go to the DOT so they can inspect it, like they care or anything. I guess to see of any of the parts are stolen. Hhmmm.....right.

Sorry Jeremy, but the Newark listed is the one here in Ohio. Luckily it is only a 1-hour drive maximum for you and Kenny. The problem you have is that the new title may be registered to an upstanding citizen in Newark who bought the car at an auction as previously mentioned.

In effect Kenny, you sold your car to the insurance company. If found, it is their's to sell. Now there is nothing stopping you from finding out who bought the car (except the usual red tape). But the only thing you can do now is buy the car back.:(

Originally posted by Scott231
Sorry Jeremy, but the Newark listed is the one here in Ohio. Luckily it is only a 1-hour drive maximum for you and Kenny. The problem you have is that the new title may be registered to an upstanding citizen in Newark who bought the car at an auction as previously mentioned.

In effect Kenny, you sold your car to the insurance company. If found, it is their's to sell. Now there is nothing stopping you from finding out who bought the car (except the usual red tape). But the only thing you can do now is buy the car back.:(

That's fine with me, I just want to know what's left of it and where it's at.

****, there is always that slight chance that they want to sell it. Who knows.

Mainly, I want to know how I can get just a phone number from the current owner.

Go to your DMV and purchase a title history on the VIN. It'll take several weeks but you can get it mailed to you.

Originally posted by John Larkin
Go to your DMV and purchase a title history on the VIN. It'll take several weeks but you can get it mailed to you.

:cool:

Complete with address/phone for current owner I assume.

I'll do it ASAP. :)

the only other chance you may have is call the DMV and see if you can get a title search done on the car. Because you owned it they may let you. Sometimes you have to pay 10 bucks or something to have this done but it will tell you the name of the person or company who owns it now. Then you can look them up and get an address and phone number. Just don't tell the person this is how you found them. The DMV will give out the information but due to privacy laws your not sposta contact current or previous owners.