Need some ideas on getting my 84 started up

Rovinfool

I have a 1984 T-Type I just bought and we have run into a bit of a problem. The car had a bad ignition module in it so I have upgraded the module with caspers hotwire kit and added new coils. The problem is when you try to start the car, the key wont turn far enough to engage the starter. It will also not turn all the way back. It will turn power on, but that is all. I have bought a new ignition lock cylinder and key along with a nuetral safety switch. We have also tried adjusting the tilt wheel in several positions with no luck. I will be removing the steering column next week was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas while I have it apart putting some new stuff in.
The ignition will also turn the same without the key in it. So I think maybe someone has tried to screw driver it or something possibly in the past. Not sure. I will keep you updated if we get it. I bought a code reader as well so maybe that will tell me something. Also the check engine light does not blink or anything it just comes on with the power but that is all that happens.

if you wiggle the shifter, you will see part of the column closest to the dash move. grab that part and turn it clockwise till it stops. now retry your key.

I have also had this issue on five other g bodys if the shifter is on the floor push the shifter lock button in, pull all the way down to first in one quick step and then slam it in park, if this releases the key, your shifter cables need adjusted or replaced. My gn did it, my monte ss, my cutlass, my GP and my brothers 442 did it it's normal lol

had the same problem with my old 86 monte ss. i use to just turn the column and it would release the key. should be a easy remedy.

Try that first but if it doesn't work you may have a lock cylinder that's gone bad. Does it have tilt? On the oposite side of the lock cylinder is a cam that moves the rod to the ignition switch and it gets mangled to the point where it can lock things up as well.

I do know that the column closest to dash does move alot. The car also has the floor shifter so I can see how could be either one. I will play with it tomorrow and see what I can find out.

put the key in the ignition and very lightly tap the key with a mallet or light hammer while turning the key... that is an old trick to get the tumbler in position, and let the rods fall inside... if that doesnt work, then it is most likely in the shift interlock.

John:D