Need some help with Windows XP backup software

turbopete

Tug Driver
I recently had to replace a failed hard drive in my desktop computer.

I made a backup copy of my windows documents (itunes music, pictures, etc.) with the Windows XP Home backup utility software. It made a 15 gig .dbf file on my external hard drive.

Problem here is that Microsoft did not include a utility in the software to restore externally stored files. When I go to open/move the stored files, windows asks me what program to use. Naturally, there is no software loaded that recognizes a .dbf file.

The only way I have seen to restore these files is to buy a program such as what is available on sites like "restoremybackup.com", etc. I prefer not to pay over $100 for a program I would use once. The computer store that replaced the hard drive wants over $200 for the data restoration.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried looking on youtube.

There are a lot of computer geeks/experts that post videos on there with solutions to all sorts of computer problems and you can contact them with questions.

it would have been easier to just save the files as files- drag and drop to save, drag and drop to restore.
i did this when i got my new computer 2 summers ago- i put everything i wanted to save on a thumb drive and just plugged in the thumb drive and grabed everything off it. it took a few separate transfers, but it didn't take very long and i didn't have to use a program to do it.

is there any reason you can't leave the old hard drive hooked up as a slave and just transfer things thru Windows Explorer?

Have you tried looking on youtube.

There are a lot of computer geeks/experts that post videos on there with solutions to all sorts of computer problems and you can contact them with questions.

Hey...watch your mouth.

If the backup software came with your external drive, it should still be on there. Check and see if the root of the external has the backup software you need. I know most drives come with something now. If it was in Windows it would be there upon reinstall and bringing to same service pack level.

Next step

The hard drive did not come with software. The original service pack was reinstalled. Problem is that the utility has the option to backup the files, but not restore them.
I understand, now, about the drag and drop to an external drive like a thumb drive. Should have done that in the first place. Maybe next time...
Still have to get the data off that drive.

The hard drive did not come with software. The original service pack was reinstalled. Problem is that the utility has the option to backup the files, but not restore them.
I understand, now, about the drag and drop to an external drive like a thumb drive. Should have done that in the first place. Maybe next time...
Still have to get the data off that drive.
plug it in and assign it as a secondary drive. then all you have to do is open it up in My Computer and grab whatever files you want.
i got a bunch of files off my brother's laptop by doing that.

the backup software MUST have some sort of restore process, otherwise what would be the point.

What exactly was the software? Was it part of XP (Micro$oft stuff)?

B

does the screen open like this? There is a restore wizard (middle button)

Attachments

• backup01.jpg
    backup01.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 58
You guessed it

It ended up being a file transfer issue instead of a backup restoration. Thanks for the help.

Transferred all the pictures and word documents to the C drive, figured it all out, and made new folders back on the external hard drive.