Need some help please!

Hanny87

I just installed my 80lb injector/chip combo from turbo tweak and am having some problems. I'm not sure if this is an e85 problem, or something else in the motor. I changed out my old 60 lb injectors and 93 octane chip for the 80's and e85 chip. Car started right up and seemed to idle fine. I let it get up to temp before I took it for a drive. Everything was going good for the first few miles... I was on the highway and laid into the throttle a bit to pass a car. Was maybe only half throttle and about 18lbs of boost when I heard a pop! Immediately let off, and then about 30 seconds later it started sputtering and lost all power. Got it back home and pulled the plugs, because it was running extremely rich. Plugs were black! Changed out the plugs, and still doing it. Changed out the crank sensor with a spare I had, checked the cam sensor to make sure it was still lined up. Everything seems to be good. It's not throwing any codes. Antifreeze and oil look fine. No blow by through the breathers, no leaks anywhere I can find. Still running extremely rich at idle. I let it warm up to temp after checking everything, and it idled a little rough. Temp reached 160, and it started idling really rough and then died. Also, weird thing was when I started it coolant temp was 100, and the fan came on high speed and stayed on. I haven't officially done a compression test, but when turning the motor over by hand it still seemed to have good compression. I'll check it for sure tomorrow night. Not sure what else to check... already sold my old chip and injectors, so I can't immediately switch back. Anyone have any suggestions or run into this before?

Are you running the stock maf sensor or a translator with lt1/ls1 maf? If your running a stock maf I bet it went bad. They will make the car go into limp mode and may not throw a code. Then your plugs will foul from being too rich.

Running a translator with a lt1 maf. It deff acts like it's in limp mode. Won't go above 20 mph.

I would definitely try another maf and new plugs. Might even be the translator but doubtful.

Any idea what the maf readings should be normally? I do have a scanmaster in the car.

The maf is reading more air than the motor is using. Check all your cooler couplings. Sounds like one blew off or tore open.

Rick

Well, you were close Rick... giant hole in the intercooler. Couldn't see it from the front. Ordering a new one today.

Here's what it looked like when I got it off.

Attachments

• 1412219436408.jpg
    1412219436408.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 159
Let us know how you like the E-85 after your'e running good...................

Well, looks like it'll be a bit before I find out how it really runs! Put about 20 miles on it when I did a little blast down the highway, and smoked the Tranny. Now to do some research on what's going to be the best Tranny for me. Another good winter project...

Well, I'm guessing there was a spike in pressure, but the car was running way rich the last few times I drove it before this happened. So, there could've been a small hole in it to begin with... Either way, I'm going to install a blow off valve from gn1 performance over the winter. Hopefully that will keep this from happening to my new i/c.

Attachments

• 1413562494105.jpg
    1413562494105.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 143