need some good 3.8 NA advice

mbartell

n/a 231
Well, it's been a while since I've been on this forum, and I have a couple of big important questions.

My 82 regal is now celebrating 220,000 miles, and I've had it since it had 80,000 on the clock. I have never rebuilt an engine, and the 231 is getting weak. The oil pressure drops under 5psi at warm idle, and has for several years. I want to re build it, but with machine shop costs, and the general lack of intrest (to put it kindly) in the buick V6, I haven't found anyone locally that I would trust to work on it. I'm thinking that I'd be better off trying to buy a rebuilt long block assembly and starting from there. Who (in chain stores) actually does a good rebuild, for the price?

Local chains are Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'rileys. Scoggin Dickey is here too, but GM has discontinued the 3.8 and they can't order one.

I've been collecting a few parts, and have a high volume melling oil pump kit, and a 4.1L 4 bbl maniforld, without a carb, which brings me to the other big question:
What 4bbl carb works best? I'd rather buy a new one, but I'm no stranger to junkyard scrounging. What should I look for? I guess one off of a 4.1 would be easiest, but there aren't that many around....

Any good advice would be appreciated, especially concidering the advice I've been getting, which latley has been "just slap a 350 in there," and a new classic "Just buy a camaro, with a V8 in it"

Check out Recon or ATK engines , They have a list of there vendors.

Jasper's probably puts together a good NA engine (many stores carry them nationally). I would try to find a 4.1 V6.

Well, I've ben looking at the sites, and the cheapest is around $1700 for a 3.8. The 4.1's all go for around $2000 Makes the junkyards around here look a lot better. But then there's the machine shop costs.... Arrrrrr!
One junkyard has a good running 4.1 for around $400, and the place that actually has any 4.1 "rebuilder motors" say that they'd be $150 pulled. That's not too bad, but a 3.8 would only be around $80. I just don't know what I want to do. I figure if I rebuilt the motor I have, I wouldn't have to shell out the money for annother motor, and I'd know that everything would go back in place.
Just can't figure out what I should do. I figure the extra money for an additional motor would be worth it, because then I'd still have something to drive.

A 4.1 will have a turbo crank. IF the crank is good, you can sell it for a fair amount of money (check the for sale ads). You really won't need the turbo crank.

I would probably go with the good running 4.1 fo $400.

Darn, If you can figure out a way to get Daytona Beach I have a complete carb to pan 4.1 I just pulled from an 83 Regal. It has about 100K on it and it runs like a champ. I would let it go to you for $500 but you would have to pick it up. I was going to part it out but I would rather see it go complete because it does run great. turbofish38@hotmail.com Eric Fisher

I will go and see if the running 4.1 is still available. I really don't think that there are many people around who would be interested in it, but there is a rumor of one dirt track racer around here who buys them all up and is doing really good with his "little v6" I just wish I actually knew the guy.

Hey if all my weird plans come true, I may need that turbo crank- I always thought a junkyard blow-thru set up would be a lot of fun. But I'd have to actually touch a K-car or two- yeeeech. or worse a mitsubishi.

Thanks for the offer, Turbofish38, but I think it's a little too far.