Need some general EFI knowledge. Have an issue with Trans Am

BARRACUDA1968

I need some EFI help and I figured this forum would have the most experience. This isn't my GN but my 78 Trans Am.

I bought a throttle body EFI kit for my T/A I also bought a Spectra bolt in fuel tank with high pressure fuel pump already installed. Nice and easy install.

Here's my problem. I just got the car running and driving. I had to basically jump start the fuel pump to get it going because it just clicked the first time I put 12 volts to it. I tapped it and it took off. So I put the tank in the car and it fired right etc. I drove for 15 miles last night and decided to jump on it for a few seconds and after that the car died and there I sat on the side of the road. I could cycle the pump and the car would fire but then die right away. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up but is it possible the fuel pump got hot?

The reason I ask is because we towed it to my buddy's house down the road and he went home for lunch today and the car started and ran after sitting over night. I know this isn't a lot of info here but where do I start to find the problem?

Fuel pump is junk, attach a pressure guage to it if it wont act up in driveway,tape guage to windshield and drive around block it will show up.

I need some EFI help and I figured this forum would have the most experience. This isn't my GN but my 78 Trans Am.

I bought a throttle body EFI kit for my T/A I also bought a Spectra bolt in fuel tank with high pressure fuel pump already installed. Nice and easy install.

Here's my problem. I just got the car running and driving. I had to basically jump start the fuel pump to get it going because it just clicked the first time I put 12 volts to it. I tapped it and it took off. So I put the tank in the car and it fired right etc. I drove for 15 miles last night and decided to jump on it for a few seconds and after that the car died and there I sat on the side of the road. I could cycle the pump and the car would fire but then die right away. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up but is it possible the fuel pump got hot?

The reason I ask is because we towed it to my buddy's house down the road and he went home for lunch today and the car started and ran after sitting over night. I know this isn't a lot of info here but where do I start to find the problem?
Put a picture of the tank installed in the car. Does the tank go in the spare tire well? Where is the fuel pickup? Good luck JOHN

I really took my time on the wiring but I will go through it all again. This EFI system has it's own ECU obviously but the fuel pump wire off the throttle body isn't very heavy gauge. Maybe a 14 or 16 gauge? Just had me scratching my head a little but like I said I'm no EFI expert so maybe these pumps don't need much for wiring?

I'll know for sure when I get my car back to the shop and drop the tank but I was told they use a walbro 255 in these kits? If so that's a decent pump for this application. But if there's a bad one out there I'll find it.

Maybe jumper wire the pump to 12volts constant when key is on independent of the ECU. Is there a return line? If so the fuel passing through the pump should keep it cool as expected.

Yes there is a return line in the system. I just drove it from my buddy's house back to my shop. I got almost all the way there and it shut down again. I sat in a gas station parking lot for 20 minutes and was able to get it started again by holding the throttle open 10% when cranking. Once it fired I was out of there. I had 1 mile to go and made it.

My trip was about 8 miles mostly highway speeds. Just a quick jog through town before it died. I came off a stop light at steady throttle and then it just quit.

At least I have it back at the shop so I can work on it now.