Need repaint!

SoGrand

Just got an 86 GN and had a car back up and hit the garage door that my car was in. Pushed the door into the rear and did about $2100 in damage. Went to a very reputable body shop and they said they didn't think the paint was lacquer and want to do it in DuPont Urethane. can anyone tell me if all gns were done in laq or were there different paints?

All factory paint is lacquer. If it original andbis painted over the new paint will crack sooner than later. Period. It should be stripped to the metal and epoxy primed then primed and painted.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

no licensed shop in NJ will shoot lacquer so I'm told. Then either I go out of state or go the way of urethane as a complete bare metal repaint. Don't know anything about paints! Is lacquer the better way? Want to keep the wet look! Yes this is original paint. only 29000 miles on the car.

Almost positive these cars came with
Enamel paint.
I know for sure every black gn was shot with lacquer and had I been smart enough to just look at the paint ID plate. It states U19 L19 Lacquer! Lacquer has been discontinued throughout the US by the EPA for years.
My wife found a body shop that actually specializes in gns. When I get the chance I'll take it there and see what he can do.

Last edited:
I know for sure every black gn was shot with lacquer and had I been smart enough to just look at the paint ID plate. It states U19 L19 Lacquer! Lacquer has been discontinued throughout the US by the EPA for years.
My wife found a body shop that actually specializes in gns. When I get the chance I'll take it there and see what he can do.
also trying to find new or excellent shape signal switch w/cruise and delayed wipers, oem chrome

I think All Regals were painted in Lacquer- I know my 87 TR was.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app