Need recommendation for speakers and amp

dthrock

When I got my GN the back left speaker was blown (original speaker) so I put in some replacement speakers front and back along with a new cd/mp3 player. I was very disappointed with the results. It sounds weak and there is no bass to speak of. The speakers were the stock size (although they broke the grill over the front speakers because it stuck up more than the stock ones did)

What I would like to do is get recommendations on how to get a better sounding system. Im not looking to do shows or have a good looking setup. I would rather keep it stock appearing as much as possible. But I do want to be able to crank it up and have it sound good while inside the car driving around. No I dont know the brand of speakers or player I put in off the top of my head. None of it was to expensive, although I really like the player as it has the mp3/cd player in it and a remote.

Im thinking all I may need is a amp and maybe a bass unit. Or maybe different back speakers. Let me know what you recommend. Lets give it a budget of $500 or less if possible.

Yes I know this isnt a lot of info, Ill get more for you later if it will help much.

David

I'd suggest some pioneer 4 x10's in the back. They are stock size and you can crank em all the way and still get good sound. i forget the model number but pioneer only make one set of 4 x10's. you can get them at best buy or cicuit city for like $90 or you can find a whole saler on ebay and save some money. I'd also upgrade the front speakers to and aftermarket brand. I'd again suggest the pioneer 3 1/2's they work very well for me.

Sorry 88 Cutty Classic no offense.......

Don't waste you money on a set of 4X10's you'll get way better results with a set of 6X9's with the adapter plate. I work with many Eclipse speakers and they will work well in your application. Their 3 1/2's is one of the best I heard so far.

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic
i only said 4x10's because he wanted stock apperance. I'm more than happy with my pioneer 4 x10's.

Well stock appearing as far as the trunk and dash setup go. Dont care what it looks like underneath :)

6x9"s with an adapter plate, looks bone stock from inside the car & even the middle-of-the-road ranged 6x9"s will sound much better than the BEST 4x10" available.

How about giving us some info on what head unit & speakers you put in?! That'll help let us know where you'll be starting from & what components will match well with your existing parts.

Doug C.

go buy yourself a deck from say a 2000 cavalier or sunfire GT nice grey units that match the car and they are good decks. Then go out and buy some Alpine speakers! Then......enjoy!:D

Originally posted by lalonde441
Then go out and buy some Alpine speakers! Then......enjoy!:D

Ok, bought some ALPINE SPS-6939 3Way
6" x 9" Coaxial Car Speakers. $73.00 Think those should do better?

Dave

You should go with a set of Mb Quart's 5 1/4 coaxial(tweeter built in) or component set for the front.

4X10,6X9,or 5 1/4 in the rear.Check E-Bay for some decent prices.These are really one of the best speakers out period.They can be bought really cheap nowadays.

Get a small 4 channel amp. Alpine,Hi-Fonics,or a Sony.

Good Luck,
Dave

88 CuttyClassic:
Are the pioneer 3.5s a direct fit in the dash, or do I have to make modifications under the dash?