Need reccomendations and part numbers for: Piston Rings and Head Gaskets

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
I'll be replacing head gaskets and re-ringing one of my cylinders shortly (thanks to Jerryl for sending me the piston I need!). I have done a bit of searching and research here as to head gaskets and piston rings, and generally just got more confused. Can anyone help me out as far as reccomending what to get, preferably with a part number so I can ensure I'm getting the right thing? All parts will be for my 90% stock hotair motor.

As for piston rings:
There are so many different options between construction (pre-sized, file-to-fit, gapless) materials (chrome, moly, etc.) with different coatings and surface treatments, as well as (apparently) different thicknesses. It's easy to get lost. All I'm looking for is a set of rings that will be easy to install (pre-sized sounds good to me, unless thats junk) and will live happily in my motor for a while. If anyone could reccomend a set, with a part number so I get the right thing I'd REALLY appreciate it. I stumbled across Hastings part number 2M5612 in a post earlier, but dont have any idea as to what those are, or if they even fit hotairs (i believe it was in a post about 86/87 rings).

As for head gaskets:
I have done some reasearch and come across what i see as three options: Stock GM style metal shim gaskets, Fel-Pro 1000's, and the Fel-Pro that are listed at the auto parts store as for our cars, the 8723. I have read mostly not great things about the 8723 number, I guess its the same part they have listed for the NA engines as well, which doesn't inspire confidence. The Fel-Pro 1000's seem to have a decent reputation, but they are a bit expensive (I'm on a pretty tight budget) and I am concerned about their increased thickness over the stock style gasket (i seem to remember reading .018 vs. .060). I don't want to sacrifice any compression ratio, and in addition I was worried that a thicker gasket might affect pushrod/lifter clearance/preload. The GM style steel shims sound like the way to go, they have a good reputation and from what I've read are pretty cheap. In addition, it would maintain original dimensions/clearances which sounds good to me. My only issue is that I cannot for the life of me find the part at GMPartDirect.com or similar sites. My plan as of now is to use the GM style gaskets, based on the information above. If I am mistaken in my knowledge, or am looking at things the wrong way, please feel free to offer an opinion. If I'm on the right track, can ANYONE give me a part number or a source for the original steel shim style gaskets that is reasonably priced?? Also, is there anything special/tricky about installing these gaskets?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Well, your concerns are well founded.
The stock HA gasket is about 0.017" vs 0.040" compressed for the Felpro 1000.
If all else is the same, you are looking at a 0.3-0.4 decrease in static compression ratio.

The bigger question is in fact the pushrod length.
If you have the heads resurfaced (which is recomended), have them take off 0.010".
That will gain you about 0.15 points in compression, with the 0.040" gasket.
It will also get the pushrod length within 0.013" from stock.
Not bad, but it depends on the prelead you have now. (I like 0.035-0.040" preload on FT setup)

RJC gaskets are 0.033" compressed, so, if you shave the heads 0.010", you are only off 0.006".

Another choice is to contact a gasket manufacturer and see if you can order a gasket in 0.020" thickness. That way you don't need to shave the heads much to get the compression, rodlength and intake alignment issues.

The bottom line is this; There is not much choice on the gaskets.

Before someone comments;
Yes, I am aware that the combustion is a "wedge design", and shaving the heads and calculating static comp is a a straight calc, but it is close enough for government work.

I was hoping to get to the auto parts store today to order parts, anyone have any suggestions as far as rings? I just need a set for a mostly stock rebuild, preferably that are kinda a no-brainer to install :) Any help is appreciated.

I was hoping to get to the auto parts store today to order parts, anyone have any suggestions as far as rings? I just need a set for a mostly stock rebuild, preferably that are kinda a no-brainer to install :) Any help is appreciated.

Try posting in the "Wanted" section for the rings, gaskets, and bearings.
Some one must have a set of "Std" rings and bearings laying around.
Make sure you get the "med-high" tension rings, or you will be blowing oil. :mad: