Need part number for TCC solenoid!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Well, dropped the trans pan today to replace the TCC solenoid and of course the GM parts guy gave me the wrong one. Wanted to button this up today but it's not going to happen. Does anyone know what the part # is for the solenoid? The one out of the GN has a long plunger on it and the one he gave me has a short little nub coming off of it. I had the feeling it was the wrong one!

Was suggested that I use a 7004r one instead of the 2004r solenoid. Has anyone tried that and if so what is the part# for that one?

according to gnttype.org.

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid 8639900 . let me know if that is the one you got, i need to get one also:)

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid 8639900 is correct.

Got mine right here next to the computer. :)

Long plunger too!

Look down inside the plunger and make sure that the hole doesn't have any plastic splinters sticking out...it should be smooth. I had to pull a NEW one that didn't work properly and that was the problem.

Mark, call Bruce Toelle at www.2004rPerformanceCenter.com. That is where I got mine, the 7004r is the one he recommended to me, I think. It came with spacers where it attaches and the wire splices where you splice into the existing wiring (it comes with instructions).

This TCC solenoid supposed to work better, he can tell you why, and is much cheaper that the stock one. I bought a shift kit from him also and it works great. That is something fairly cheap to do, about $70, while you have the pan off. BTW, this is the first time I have done any work like this, and the customer support was great.

Mark,
I would stick with the GM part # 8639900. It's the right part for the job. When I did mine I had 3 solenoids on hand. The stock GM part from above, a Napa "fits 'em both" solenoid # 1-5041 which came with spacers for the 200 4R & a GM solenoid for a 700R4 which required me to fabricate my own spacers, this was also the cheapest of the bunch but not by much & also was the part # recommended to me here on the board. I can't see any reason why the 700 solenoid would be better, especially since you've got to "rig" it in there. I asked on this forum & nobody offered up any specifics. I also liked that the 8639900 plugged right in without any wire hacking. Just my opinion. Good Luck! Mine's working great!

Lee

Anyone know what that little piece of square cardboard is in the plastic bag with the solenoid?

No splinters in mine. :)

Thanks for all the warnings, I think the stocker will work until I buy a built tranny... someday...

#8633945 is the one my friendly local GM parts dealer gave me. Not sure what the hell that fits but I wasn't a happy camper as I wanted this thing back together this weekend. And salvage, there is a little square of cardboard in this one too!:D

I was considering the 7004r solenoid but wanted to know why it would be a better choice than the stock part. I do have the 7004r filter setup and that worked out great with the deep pan I have. Now that makes sense using a bottom feed filter vs the stock top feed filter. Just sucks when you have to buy a different filter and gasket though but that's the price you pay!:)

Thanks for the part# guys, appreciate it!

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted

I was considering the 7004r solenoid but wanted to know why it would be a better choice than the stock part. I do have the 7004r filter setup and that worked out great with the deep pan I have.

Thanks for the part# guys, appreciate it!

Mark, Bruce explained to me why it was better, something about it using a different method such as electromagnetic to operate. I knew I could definitely take his word for it. This one was something like $20 cheaper, and recommended by him even though it was cheaper. I think he is on vacation now, maybe MeanBuicks can give an exact answer to your question.