Need opinion on this car

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I know pics are good but don't have them. I was told it is the same car an older couple owned which was in great shape. 87 buick regal, 3.8, limited, factory rallies, All option except leather and sunroof. Everything works supposedly. 120k in very good shape. I can get it for 1800 bucks. Sound like a good deal? Car is blue, which is cool:biggrin:

well i would say it's a matter of how bad you want it.i have been given regals for free.i bought a mint one needing headgasket for $150 i got my 68,000 mile 1 owner we4 for $1000 i have also paid alot more for other turbo cars i own. but for $1800 if you beat the bushes and look around and get the local papers on the day they come out you can get a turbo car for $1800 no problem.i bought a 84 wh1 120,000 miles but needing 3/4 nose the rest of the car was like new for $800 with nos grille ,headlight bezels and header panel ornament.i bought a 87 turbo t loaded running and driving but needing work for $2200.i bought a 87 gn i drove home little rot behind tires 1 owner $2000.i bought others and passed on other for under $3000 they are out there just be patient and talk to people.people see me driving my cars and tell me about others.just food for thought

If no rust and runs well (no check engine light), then I'd say it's probably a good deal.

These cars are scarce in this area, especially nice ones. Turbo cars are unheard of. Example-85 GN hit hard in rear, need frame pulled and rear half, rest of car nice, 1500. My We4 pretty much trashed but complete for 2k. Ebay usually has N/A regals for more than this. I would like to have a turbo car for a driver but don't exist around here. There is one about a half hour away that has ttops for 1800, one owner. No one knows his last name and can't remember where he lives, somewhere out of town-needle in a haystack pretty much beings its small town country. Just looking for a nice car to drive for a good price. Don't know what they get for gas mileage which worries me.

My 83 gets 17-21 city and 26 hwy, but it has the 2004r and 3.42 rear gears. I think the NA's had 3.08 gears or less.
If you wanted to add a turbo to it check out B4Black's web site.

Yeah its crossed my mind, almost thought about pulling my we4 apart and putting everything in it-but would hate to have one less we4 in the world. Have thought about a carbed turbo set up down the road. Problem is I don't want to swap trannies and I want to keep ecm for TC lockup. Don't want to pull motor and swap pistons to lower the compression either. I probably could get an 81-82 turbo set up and make it a reality maybe:confused: ? Even then knock would be a scare beings I hear the slightest bit will kill the n/a piston. If this car DOES have the 6er in it I don't want to have a whole lot of money in go fast stuff (that's why I would go carbed turbo if I did) for it for the reason it will be a driver, want to get 15-20 in town and 20 or more on interstate, and need it reliable.

I do believe that the 87 NA's have a knock sensor :biggrin:
Either way, I think it's a good price for a DD ;)

does anyone know if I can run one of the factory turbo setups without changing tranny and keep ecm? Basically just have it be a bolt up deal.
This would be a good research for turbofish or b4black!:wink:

so all I have to do is get a complete turbo setup from an 81 or 82 to match my 3 speed tranny and get the chip and I'm good to go?

if you want a turbo car buy a turbo car! don't try to reinvent the wheel.i know you said they were scarce but check autotrader.com or ebay.ask somebody on this board in your part of the country maybe somebody knows of a unadvertised deal for a turbo car! not trying to be a jerk but just trying be helpful.if you buy a turbo car for $3000 dollars and crash it into a tree guess what you can still probably get your money back out of it in the drivetrain.if you crash a na car your out your $1800 because they are not worth nearly as much parted out. just food for thought.

yeah i guess your're right. I'd love a turbo car for a driver if I could find one under 2k that I could jump in and go. Hell I'd take a 79 if it was clean. I have no problem with an n/a 6 now thinking about it. the turbo in myold 79 sc didn't work for the long est time and I was ok with it. If the car is super clean like told I'll get it and do regular mods but would definitely buy a 79-84 if it was what I was looking for.

my point was for $1800 you should be able to get a 84 85 t type if your patient.i think a na car should be about $500 unless the mileage is really low but that's your call though.

I would say that the blowthru would be the better option. On the Drawthru you wouldn't have to change the chip as far as I know. The chip only controls during normal driving, at WOT it mechanical except for the timing.
As any project you want to do, you need to think of the end goal you want and go from there. If you will only be happy with a SFI, then wait and get one.

my point was for $1800 you should be able to get a 84 85 t type if your patient.i think a na car should be about $500 unless the mileage is really low but that's your call though.

Yes, you could get a $1800 Hot Air turbo, but it wouldn't be in "great shape". So you have to decide, do you want a Great Shape NA car or a not-so-great shape Hot Air Turbo. $500 won't buy any Regal, unless it's a basket case.

You can add a carb/turbo directly to the 87 without swapping trans or pistons, ECM, etc. Of course that is time and money on top of the price of the car.

I agree, if you want a turbo car, buy a turbo car. They will cost a little more. 84/85 TR are bargins, IMO, but I think you need to spend a little more than $1800, unless you don't mind a rough body.

Bottom line is what do you want in the end???

I have to agree with usetaboost, Regals in just about any form are getting tough to find in this part of the country. Use of road salt during the winter makes it tough to find one in good shape, and then factor in that all the stock car racers want them. You get a pretty good idea of what we're up against.

I basically just want a nice driver that has enough power to keep a steady 75 mph. As far as turbo on it, it wouldn't be a main goal. If I could come across the setup for cheap then yes I would do it just for the fun. If I went this way with it at some point in time I would still have less into it than a carbed turbo car and it would probably be in twice the shape. People that live around here either junk these cars or take the nice ones and race them on the dirt track for a season or 2 and make beer cans out of them. I guess I'll make my decision Saturday when I see the car. I would like a hot air but don't want to have to work to anything beings my we4 needs everything and anythiing:eek:

.....if you want a turbo car buy a turbo car! don't try to reinvent the wheel.i know you said they were scarce .....not trying to be a jerk but just trying be helpful.if you buy a turbo car for $3000 dollars and crash it into a tree guess what you can still probably get your money back out of it in the drivetrain.if you crash a na car your out your $1800 because they are not worth nearly as much parted out. just food for thought.

I've got an early conversion on the works and the most I've paid for turbo engine parts is a little less than $400.00 for eveything!!. Parting out any Regal is worth money.

You must mean if you want a Grand National go out and buy one because it's worth the money one pays for it. I agree....but this forum is "before black", so I think he's talking about the earlier cars and the N/A version. Fact is that it's a Regal. A damn fine American automobile and worth every penny he puts into it.

Turbo powered/Non-Aspirated.....no big deal. Still a Regal. Damn good car!
I'd bargain a little to knock off a couple a hundred bucks. If it looks good and runs good......buy it!

Saw the car today. good shape-here's the imperfections-pass side bubbled under the paint in a couple spots, driver's seat has some wear, which I expected. Doors and seams look real nice though, seals look OK. By the look of the tires it probably needs an alignment, needs headliner of course, maybe door bushings on driver's side, and a/c needs to be recharged but he's gonna fill it up if I buy it, he said he filled it last summber and lasted all season. Tires are good except for the wear on the front. FIllers are nice, ralleys got a little wear but expected and just has normal dings and chips from 20 years of every day driving. Fired right up with no smoke or noise after sitting since september. Enginge looks real clean except maybe a little leak from rear seal but like I said it's been sitting since september so who knows. Car's maybe a 10 footer. I got a flowmaster catback from my turbo car that would sit real nice on that car! THe only thing I'm scared of is the gas mileage. I don't mind regular maintinence.Is anyone getting 20 mpg in town or close with normal driving? #2 can this thing pull its weight on the highway with a few hills?

Waiting always helps..

for anyone that cares;) got a phone call today and the guy finally is giving in a little. He said I can have it for 1600. I'm a little more inclined to get it now. I'm gonna go drive it this weekend and I'll DEFINITELY set up pics, and I'll throw up some of the junker:eek: in the garage too. If I can't get him to come down any more I'm gonna tell him I want a few of a his spare gbody parts laying around too. Gotta get something out of the deal. :biggrin: