Need new water pump????

8t7gn

I have an 87 GN with less than 5k miles. Run it every 3 weeks or so to circulate the fluid and charge the battery. Anyways, just notice that my temp was kinda high and the scanmaster shows 220 degrees while idling. I thought the thermostat was stuck so I change it out and still showing the same thing. Do I need a new water pump? TIA.

I would confirm if the gauge is accurate by running the car for a while with the radiator cap off* and check with a probe thermometer. (You can buy a inexpensive but pretty accurate one from the kitchen utensil aisle) and see if the numbers are close.
Another test: Its hard to see flow in these cars radiators-- so maybe you could also disconnect one of throttle heater lines putting one end in a bottle to catch the coolant, run the car see if you have pressure there. It should flow pretty good.
Just some things I would do before doing a R&R on a W/P.;)

*WARNING: Not insulting your intelligence but, NEVER open a radiator cap when the engine is hot. Do this test when the car is cold and monitor the upward temps comparing the thermometer and gauge readings.

I was thinking clogged up radiator.

A big thick blanket can be used as a shield against hot coolant if one should decide to not heed the good advice above. As the cap is about 15 PSI - it is easy to hold the pressure to release slow - the sudden rush often causes one, foolish enough to open a hot radiator, to freak out and let all the pressure to fly

I think one may totally block that and it will not hurt engine cooling - pretty sure I did that to one when the heater core was going

Does the car have 5K on it or just the motor? Is it all stock? Do you get these high temps while driving or while sitting in a garage? :confused:

Check your low speed relay. Your low speed fan should be going on at 165'. If its not, that is your problem.

I am currently having the same problem. Good luck!;)

I was thinking clogged up radiator...............

More than likely that is the problem. It has had antifreeze sitting in it for over 20 years, and even though it has very low miles the tubes become clogged with crud.

The solder joints are also very thin and weak, the core needs to be replaced to do this job properly.

Seen this on many low mile GN's for over the past 10 years.:)

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I thing Nick is right, with the car sitting around for 20 years something has to clog. I will try the heater control valve. If not that, then I'll tackle the radiator. Keep you guys informed.