Stock heads (shaved .008)
stock crank turned .020/.010
stock rockers with new buttons
stock push rods
Edelbrock 204/214 cam and lifter kit
stock turbo - ported
stock headers, downpipe and crossover
979 springs with cups

plus a lot of add on stuff like injectors, hotwire kit, maf pipe, etc. . .

Oil pressure is 26 @hot idle in gear, and 58-60 at WOT with 5w40 Synthetic. The car runs very well, with steady vacuum and no knock up to 16PSI. Shifts are firm. . .

The problem is a fairly loud tap coming from the lower rear of the engine. It only happens when the car is warmed up, and only at idle, whether it's in gear or not. Here's the list of stuff I'm checking this weekend:

Re-torqued headers, turbo, and crossover pipe.
Dis-connect torque converted and check flexpate
remove drive belt and run engine
check pushrods for spin, and re-check preload.

I pulled the pan yesterday when I changed the oil, and found no bearing material in the pan, and the filter was clean. I did find a few small slivers of metal on the magnetic drain plug. Thrust is measured at .011, which is what it was when I put the engine together. Connecting rods are all in the low .02x range. I felt and looked for anything hitting, but found nothing. What else should I check?

could be as simple as the inspection cover on the tranny rubbing. try removing it and running the motor. also make sure torque convertor bolts are good and tight. hope you find it!!

Try to narrow noise down with a stethiscope if you can. (I had a friend who was a nurse give me an old one and it works great.) that will help you tell if its more mechanical. Ive been thru some crazy sounds. I went nuts with a warped pass side exh header.