Need help

mikewest_08

I know this is not a turbo regal but I have a 1999 Buick skylark and i can be driving along and just randomly it shuts off. Then i can turn it off and back on and it will start. Does anyone have any idea what it can be. Done plugs wires censors stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common for the wiring to the pcm to be corroded. If there is a glitch from the crank sensor it will kill the ignition. This was a recall/service bulletin back in the early 2000's to put a rubber boot over the computer that is in the right front fender, in front of the tire. Check for corrosion or broken wires.

Are there any patterns to when it happens? (at stoplights, after driving prolonged periods, certain speeds, weather conditions, etc.)

Any warning lights illuminate?

You mentioned sensors, which ones?

Last edited:
No just does it randomly and replaced engine sensors but the radio stays on when it does it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could be:
  • bad ignition switch
  • fuel pump
  • crank sensor
BUT unless you have the tools to diagnose the problem, your pretty much pissing in the wind... (unless of course you have $$$ to burn throwing parts at it :greedy:)

ideally, if you have a scanner (not a cheap code reader), you'll want to test drive the car with a fuel pressure gauge attached until you can duplicate the problem, then check the computer's recorded data stream for the time when the symptom arose.

don't forget to check the simple things:
1. check battery terminals (loose connections, corroded)
2. check grounds

Last edited:
Sounds like a trouble I had with an Accord in the past. Ignition had a contact that went bad and would just randomly shut off. The key indicator on the dash would come on too when it did it. I could turn the key just short of engaging the starter and it d fire right back up if I was cruising down the highway when it shut off. Next time it shuts off try jiggling ignition or turning key just slightly and see if it comes back on.