Need Help

bowtiepony

I am looking to buy a '68 corvette T Top car, it has new interior Corvette rearend, new chrome and new emblems, new rebuilt Muncie 4 speed and has a stock bore and stock stroke 427 to go in the the car, the owner said he was told it was a factory 427 car how can you tell if it was a factory 427/4 speed? THanks Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

According to my Corvette Black Book you can't tell.

" Except for 1955, the body/chassis number does not reveal which engine a Corvette has, until 1972 when the number format was revised to include a letter which was coded to engine type. "

I think the shifter plate had the HP and perhaps cu in. on it.

Obviously it could have been changed easily along with most any other part on the car that would have been used if it was a big block car say like HD springs and such.

I'm sure the Corvette owners by now have a good method of telling but it may not be foolproof according to my source book.

Unless the engine is the orginal the value goes down dramatically anyway along with skepticism of it being an original big block car.

The build sheets are very easy to find on them. If I was buying a Vette I wouldn't pay good money unless the seller provided the build sheet. Check with the Corvette Musuem too. They have a historical service. Seems to me they have build sheets on file and can verify that stuff now. If not there's always the numbers matching game.

Bow if it doesnt have the original BB motor then it makes no difference what it was. If the price is reflective of not being original then just enjoy the car. Without the correct motor it isnt important for the value to know what it once was. The counsel should have the HP and cubes listed if the car is original inside. The redline on the Tach sjould give some indication as to what motor it had also. I had the 427/435hp motor and I think it was 6k redline. Also check the muncie trans for a drain plug on the lower side of the case passenger side. This usually indicates a high hp model as it would be a M22 trans