need help with XFI transbrake creep issues

hwholder

I had my XFI upgraded to 2.010 with ITC in April 2011. I finally got around to getting the XFI back in the car with some mechanical upgrades the first week of December 2011.
I wired my car for Turbo/Automatic/Transbrake control as presented in the diagram from FAST.
I have checked and double checked the wiring for switching and relay logic.
I am using a solid state relay for the transbrake.
I have the creep parameters set so that creep will not activate until boost and TPS parameters are met and I understand the operation because before I sent the box in for a 2.0 and ITC upgrade I was using the creep feature and it worked perfectly. What is different in my set-up (the wiring) now is that I set the staging up as shown in the Turbo/Automatic/Transbrake control diagram.
When the XFI box is powered "on", A-18 immediately becomes grounded and activates the transbrake (Pin 4 on the digital relay is wired to A-18). When power to the XFI is "off", A-18 is floating (neither +12v or ground).
I have convinced myself that the XFI box has an internal problem an probably needs to be sent back to FAST. Does anyone have any advice for me on this subject?

Another anomaly occurred that I am curious about with the new upgrade. I disconnect A-18, put the street tires on and went for a drive to test and and get some experience with the learning feature. When I reviewed the log I noticed that the learning was cutting on and off even though the parameters for learning had been met to keep it on. Has anyone else had experience with this issue?

This problem was brought up on the fast forum it turned out to be the box was defective. You can read the thread here:
Xfi trans brake/creep problems - Page 4 - CPG Nation Forum

The learning control will shut off if the throttle is moving if your PA mode is activated or your out of the closed loop rpm limits and settings. Actually the engine must be in the cell for about a second before the learning will change the value.

"The learning control will shut off if the throttle is moving if your PA mode is activated or your out of the closed loop rpm limits and settings. Actually the engine must be in the cell for about a second before the learning will change the value."

Exactly what I found on street driven tuning sessions. A load dyno would be the way we'll do the next tune. [Or, drive out into the country/interstate where a STEADY throttle can be applied.]

PA mode not activated and operating within closed loop RPM limits and settings.
In steady state it also toggles in and out. However when it is "on" it is really "learning" (changing the VE table).
Beginning to think there might be a problem in the box.
Just want to flush out all possibilities before making the decision to blame the box.

You can send a datalog I can post it up here on the board, maybe get a few opinions from the others.

Thx for the link.
Considering my box update in April and reading about the same problems in the link occurring after my update and finally getting my updated box hooked up in Dec to discover the same problem discussed in the link helps convince me that my box probably needs to go on a trip to Memphis.

Thx for the link.
Considering my box update in April and reading about the same problems in the link occurring after my update and finally getting my updated box hooked up in Dec to discover the same problem discussed in the link helps convince me that my box probably needs to go on a trip to Memphis.

Ya its a good link, but you can thank Lazaris and Freddy for figuring it out...

learn.jpglearn log.jpg
You can send a datalog I can post it up here on the board, maybe get a few opinions from the others.

looks good to me, it is shutting off where the tps is moving and coming back on when its not. Since I don;t have the log file, I cant determine if its shutting off later on in your log, due to rpm limits or tps position, or engine coolant temp. Create a zip file then you can post the log file in manage attachments.

looks good to me, it is shutting off where the tps is moving and coming back on when its not. Since I don;t have the log file, I cant determine if its shutting off later on in your log, due to rpm limits or tps position, or engine coolant temp. Create a zip file then you can post the log file in manage attachments.

two logs attached

Attachments

• 12.11.11a.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 12.11.11b.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 60
Looks like your learning is shutting off since you are below your min rpm limit in the learning setup. Also check your map and tps sensor calibration it seems to be off. If you include your GCT file it would be more help also.

Norb

Just looking at your file and your adaptive learn parameters do not match the ones you posted, so I don;t know what to say about that. Looks like the learning is working to the settings you have in, I would not worry. You can do an auto tps calibrate to get it to read zero, the map sensor seems to be low, have you checked it against any gauges?

Just looking at your file and your adaptive learn parameters do not match the ones you posted, so I don;t know what to say about that. Looks like the learning is working to the settings you have in, I would not worry. You can do an auto tps calibrate to get it to read zero, the map sensor seems to be low, have you checked it against any gauges?

The adaptive learn parameters in the attached GTC file is the correct one. The one I posted earlier was a setting previous to the logs which I changed before logging and and posted the incorrect one by mistake.
TPS calibration - I calibrated TPS in accordance with the instructions and then adjusted the throttle position to 4% with the mechanical stop on the throttle body to get a minimum IAC position value around 13 and then I set the Max TPS for Idle at 5% in the idle speed parameter window. Did I do something wrong?
MAP sensor - good eye and suggestion on the map sensor. I will check it against a gauge and/or another map sensor.

FYI - I am in Florida visiting the grandkids and will return to Texas over the weekend. I'll check this out and get back next week.
THX for your help.

I don't think its going to make much difference if its at 4 instead of zero, but your menus like throttle follower and some accel tables will be starting at 4% instead of 0%. However you could you set your min air position up like you which is fine, but then go after and reset the tps to 0. Your MAP maybe fine if your engine really pulls a lot of vacuum on decel it just seems lower from others I have seen.

I don't think its going to make much difference if its at 4 instead of zero, but your menus like throttle follower and some accel tables will be starting at 4% instead of 0%. However you could you set your min air position up like you which is fine, but then go after and reset the tps to 0. Your MAP maybe fine if your engine really pulls a lot of vacuum on decel it just seems lower from others I have seen.

I looked back at some old logs before this last motor freshen-up and combination change and the decel MAP was indeed low (<15kPa). Thanks for bringing it to my attention as it warrants a close look at MAP sensor calibration.

FYI
I figured out and solved the problem with A-18 being grounded all the time when the power is on.
Turns out I am using an AMS 1000 boost controller and pin 9 on the AMS is the clutch input to tell the AMS go to launch boost psi when the transbrake button is pushed.
I wired the car for the XFI Turbo/Automatic/Transbrake control diagram which has the A-20 (clutch) and B-16 (PA Hold) tied together and grounded by pushing the transbrake button.
When I wired the car for the XFI Turbo/Automatic/Transbrake control I connected AMS pin 9 to A-20 and B-16, all which get grounded when the transbrake button is pushed.
The problem was one of feedthrough from the AMS pin 9 connection when it was not grounded making A-20 and B-16 think it was ground without the transbrake button being pushed.
I put a diode in series with the connection to AMS pin 9 and PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thought I would post the solution in case someone else has a similar experience using an AMS 1000 with the XFI Turbo/Automatic/Transbrake control wiring.

I went to FL to visit the grandkids for a couple of weeks during the holidays and being away from the problem gave me time to clear the head and come back and do some logical testing.
Just goes to show that backing up and taking a break to clear the head can be a good thing.

Thanks for your help with the posts.
Going to address checking the MAP sensor next.

Glad you got it figured out, you really don't need the AMS anymore since you have the traction control, I will be selling mine in the future. You had a very complex problem.

Glad you got it figured out, you really don't need the AMS anymore since you have the traction control, I will be selling mine in the future. You had a very complex problem.
Thx
I think I will keep the AMS 1000 for the near future as I am familiar with it's capabilities and feel safe with a feature that software version 3.0 added - in the case of a sensor failure the AMS will default to a preset voltage and a warning screen will pop up. It tells you that a sensor error has occurred and to check the ground, wiring, and or sensor. But most important, it defaults to no pressure and that keeps the AMS from just adding CO2 until it reaches regulated line pressure (in my case that would be 60 psi - woops). The previous version of software/firmware did not have this feature. That is the main reason I had my AMS upgraded. It has served me well in the past and I think I would rather get a grip on the ITC before trying to control boost with the XFI.

Let me know how you like the boost control feature of ITC when you get some seat time using it.

In my wiring hook-up I connected B-11 to the AMS boost reduce to take advantage of the reduce boost feature of the ITC.
Just now I am thinking about that connection - It just dawned on me that I need to check and see if I need a diode on that connection also. Hummmmmmm!!!!!