Need help with this transmission ID number.

Stan's Customs

I have what I believe to be a Grand National 200-4R. The metal tag to the passender side rear of the transmission near the out put shaft is: (274 872 BRF 1162).

Can someone decipher this tag for me...I can't seem to find a chart that works with these numbers.

Also...I am going to do a tear down shortly and see if the Valve Body, Servo and Governor are consistant with what ever the tag says I should have in the way of internals. If anyone can tell me how to identify the Valve Body, Servo, Governor etc. (numbers, paint,..??) I would really appreciate it.

I was planning on taking it to the transmission shop in the morning...but I'd like to determine what I actually have before I go there.

I've been at this about 3 hours with no luck...and am getting short on time.

Any input appreciated
Thanks ..Stan

I beleive it is 274 dayof the year built 87 is the year 2 is for second shift BRF calibration code Turbo V6 and 1162 is the serial or sequential unit number. The valve body should have an ink stamp on the side like BR3 the number after the BR is not important and it should have a pink or purple stripe painted on the side of the valve body. The last 3 didgits on the servo cover should be 694 if I'm not mistaken. Any way make sure you will get YOUR trans back from the shop with the correct V/B , governor and Servo, lots of places like to just do a rack exchange and give you whatevers on the shelf and try telling you their all the same.

spidereyes...

Exactly...and why I want to know for sure what I have. I trust my builder, but I'm just being cautious....especially since I haven't been in this transmission yet and "really" want to know for my own edification.

Could you tell me where you got this info from? I've looked everywhere.

...and how I know this transmission has the correct governor and servo?

Thanks....Stan

hi stan you do have a gn 200 4r. check this out ; go to 1:47 of this vid:
7 means yr 87, BRF means code MW9 - 4 SPD A.T. W/OVERDRIVE THM2004R

I beleive it is 274 dayof the year built 87 is the year 2 is for second shift BRF calibration code Turbo V6 and 1162 is the serial or sequential unit number. The valve body should have an ink stamp on the side like BR3 the number after the BR is not important and it should have a pink or purple stripe painted on the side of the valve body. The last 3 didgits on the servo cover should be 694 if I'm not mistaken. Any way make sure you will get YOUR trans back from the shop with the correct V/B , governor and Servo, lots of places like to just do a rack exchange and give you whatevers on the shelf and try telling you their all the same.
YES no joke. this is what happened to the previous owner of my Buick !

Thanks for the video John

...I R&R's transmissions in the 70's for a living. But only for a few months...before opening my own general repair garage in Midland, Texas. This was before overdrive autos of course...

My metal tag looks like the one in the video..but has no paint on it at all. All that is left is the stamped numbers.

I would really like to see some pics of a GN valve body, servo and governor if there is such a thing available.

...and documentation of any kind on these transmissions. I'm trying to bone up on them since I'll be married to this one , and my last big custom project.

Best regards..Stan

Allrightey then Spidereyes...

Looks like you answered my question as I was typing out my last post...

I'm not into the turbo's much...in fact rarely mess with anything later than a 1972 model. But these 200-4R'S are great for the old clasic street rods too.

Thanks..
Best regards..Stan

Well darn...I have seen those sites. They point out where the tag is but my tag letter code isn't even on the example it shows..and there is no reference as to what the tag letter codes stand for. That's what I really wanted for now and future reference.

The pic of the governor is helpful,. Only two more items to go.

Thanks...San

Your code is BRF as it is stamped on the tag BRF is 86-87 Grand national or any Regal with the turbo V6 some more examples are....
CZF 86? and 87-88 Monte SS
KZF 85-87 442
BQ 84-85 Regal with turbo V6
CQ 84-85 Monte SS
OZ 83-84 Hurst Olds
TA 89 turbo Trans-Am

There are lots more but these ones are the performance calibrations, most anything else would belong in your moms Delta88 or your granfathers Cadillac.;)
Here is a limk with more codes http://web.archive.org/web/20070128173316/http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

And dont forget to make sure you have and get back the proper torque converter if your not useing an aftermarket one. The stock one should have D5 stamped around the outside of it.