need help with distributor setup and XFI

sixgun86gn

six offender
I have an msd 7al2,msd billet dist.,and the adapter for the stock crank trigger.

I need someone to please give me a step by step instruction on what i have to do to get it all installed and phased correctly and whatever else needs to be done.Thanks in advance.

It is all laid out step by step in the help files. There is a video on phasing the distributor as well. Did you go through that?

No I did not,I am new to using a FAST and have not been able to find anything that explains what changes are necessary to use the stock crank sensor,or what type ignition setup to choose for the parameters.

I would contact the vendor you bought the system from. When I bought mine from Hartline Performance it came with instructions included. Some hand written.

Are you using the stock balancer or has it been modified?

I am using a BHJ balancer.No way I would use a stock one on a $15K motor,LOL.

I guess I will try doing that.I got mine from Joe Lubrant,I am sure he will be able to steer me in the right direction.Thanks.

BHJ balancers have known to be off also. No matter what your going to have to move the reluctor ring to make the xfi, or dfi work, looks like. Or send it to Bill anderson to put magnets in it for a crank trigger set up.

norbs said:
No matter what your going to have to move the reluctor ring to make the xfi, or dfi work, looks like.

You don't HAVE to move it with an XFI.

So Mr Hartline,are you saying I can set it up just like the stock ignition with the dist giving the cam signal and set the crank reference angle to 10* for Buick DIS?

Yes. Especially if you use one of our ignition adaptors (you can buy it from Joe).

Crank Trigger

Or you could purchase a crank trigger wheel and sensor bracket from me, it will already be phased, all youd have to do is bolt it on the balancer and line it up at TDC, then put 50 degs, in the XFI timing ref. Call or email if your interested. Its as simple as it can be.. Jeff Weekley 850-623-1917 ,......email ...jeffweekley@juno.com...check out my website in progress at.....WWW.SPEEDSTARMOTORSPORTS.COM

HighPSI said:
Yes. Especially if you use one of our ignition adaptors (you can buy it from Joe).

Thanks Mr.Hartline,I bought one from Joe with the system.I was just not sure with some saying the int ring needs moved to 50* and the instructions really say to me that the ignition would be set up the same as stock,just firing the spark from and ignition box and coil through the dist.

Speedstar,PM me with some info on that crank trigger setup,I am interested.

Does anyone know how far off the BHJ balancers are? Do they vary or is the innacuracy the same from one to another?

disco stu said:
Does anyone know how far off the BHJ balancers are? Do they vary or is the innacuracy the same from one to another?

A motor we just fired up uses a BHJ balancer with the old seq. FAST box. Crank reference had to be set at 10* to get the actual timing right. This was on a stock ignition though.