Need help with bad hesitation!

VIRGIN87T

More Boost
Sorry for the long thread...

Alrite well about 6 months ago my car started to hesitate real bad through any type of accelaration. At first it only did it after the car was driven then sat for about an hour and driven again. Over time the hesitation got worse and worse but NEVER got any SES. Once the car got warm, it would do it through all forms of accelaration. The only time it did it at a 'consistant' level was between 60-65 on the fwy. I also noticed the tach would jump around from time to time, sometimes reading '0', sometimes going all over, and other times working perfect. I replaced all the old vaccuum lines, new plug wires, still no help. Finally one day I was coming home from school and the car was running its worst ever, I GOT A CODE 42. Well I read up on gnttype what causes a code 42 and since I had an extra coil pack in the garage I slapped it on there. Well that sure 'seemed' to fix all my problems. The car ran perfect, the tach worked perfect, I was happy again! Well about a month ago it came back. Started off like it did before but it got worse much quicker this time. It hesitates and stumbles almost all the time now. I never know how its gonna run. The tach is all over the place again. And today I finally got a Code 42 again.

Now my question is, do you guys think it is the coil again? If so, is there something wrong that can it burn out the coil that quickly? Or does it sound like another problem? I really need to get this fixed cause the car is starting to become a pain in the a55 to drive.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is a tough one

Can you get a scan tool or direct scan on there to monitor some of the electronics?

Maybe a bad ground? Maybe a bad ECM connection or corrosion on some pins or the chip somewhere?

Start a checklist of things..and start swapping out known good components from a friends car. Just to cross them off the list.

If you have any kind of short or "arc" or misfire for more than about a half hour it will cause the coil pack to go bad. I just got rid of my crap MSD wires because I had a lightning show going on even with wire seperators. Went back to the cheaper MAG wires and I've had no problems. I did have to replace my coil pack though.

ohm the coil packs, check for ground problems , make sure no wire from your tach rubbed through if you have an aftermarket unit!