Need help w/upcoming lawnmower purchase- what to buy??

Evans Ward

Love those LC2/ Y56 cars!
Yea I know, this one's waaay off topic but thought I'd get input from you all. About to purchase a new walk behind self propelled lawnmower for the cutting season just ahead. Here's what I want: 4 cycle engine w/large displacement, bagger but w/capability to mulch, variable speeds for self propelled feature, price range not to exceed $500.00 I don't want or need a rider type as my yard isn't that big and I'm still young enough to get the exercise from mowing. The one I've been looking at is a Cub Cadet with a 6.75 HP 4 cycle Briggs engine. Has all the features I want at about $425.00 The new Cub Cadets (At Lowe's) now have a Kawasaki 4 cycle engine instead of the Briggs. Anyone know anything about Kawasaki's lawnmower engines? I'm very familiar with them from my past motorcycling days as my favorite bikes were Kawis. The other mower I've looked at is a Toro but it doesn't have variable speeds and doesn't appear as heavy duty as the Cub Cadet. Anyone an expert on lawnmowers that would like to give some needed advice? Whatever I buy, I promise not to mod or hop it up! :D

Make sure you get the self-propelled like your thinking. I decided not to get the self-propelled so I could get a nice work out while cutting the grass. What a mistake. There are better ways of getting a workout other than in 90+ degree, 100% humidity weather.

At least take a look at the Lawn Boy. I had my first one for 20 years and it was still running when I replaced it with a new 6.5 HP self propelled. Great lawn mower..just reliable as hell. Two pumps of prime and starts right up each time every time.

HONDA-HONDA-HONDA

Look for the 6-6.5hp Honda engine, regardless of brand.

Self-propelled, mulching (better cut/no mess) capable.

HTH :)

Nah don't get that Honda junk. What do Japs know about mowing lawns? Also they have no torque, and everybody knows it's torque that slices through a blade of grass. Horsepower just sells mowers.

Get youself a Toro or Snapper.

But I will say this for the Honda: it'll own the Toro/Snapper in the twisties.

BEST ADVICE OF ALL

You know, the very BEST answer to your question probably is:

1.) Stop by Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million or your favorite magazine rack or library.

2.) Find the 2003 Edition of the CONSUMER REPORT BUYER'S GUIDE. Look under self-propelled lawnmowers. Look under customer satisfaction/rate of repair.

3.) Then, armed with the results of scientific & independent testing, find that model/make locally, look it over, & make an informed choice that complies with your budget.

HTH :)

Stay away from the Briggs engines, they do not last very long. My first choice would be the mower with the Kawasaki engine, then probably the Toro. I have a commercial mower, with a Kawasaki engine that I use 6 days a week during the summer and have had zero problems with it for the past 3 years.
HTH

I had a snapper and it sucked. Bought a Toro personnal pace mulcher three years ago. Good mower.Everything is Guaranteed for 5 years. The drive gears failed and the labor and parts where covered. When fall comes around put the bag on and suck up them leaves. 6.0 horsepower. Mulcher and bag.21 inch.

Thinking about buying a Toro myself since I am so happy with the snowblower I just purchased. Home Depot has a decent looking one for $299. 6.5 HP self propelled, variable speed, can be used as a rear bagger, mulcher or side discharge. Has cool looking big back tires but is front wheel drive. I have a nice flat yard just right for a walk behind mower so this might be the way I go. Just wish I could see some green grass right now, sick of looking at snow.

OF COURSE........................................

Go to your local John Deere dealer or Home Depot and buy a Deere JX75! Awesome Kawasaki power, detents in all shift gears, and just built to last. Call me and Ill "get ya a deal";)

My lawnboy spent most of it's life in the shop. Rod thru the block,and about 4 ignition systems. I got a Crapsman now OHV 6.5 h.p. and 35 ft. pounds of torque{on the spark plug} So far after 5 years it is still running good!

For the snow - get a Toro CCR series.

For the grass. LAWN BOY - LAWN BOY - LAWN BOY.

Speaking of lazy - anybody remember the Lawn Boy loafer????

What I wouldnt do to find a nice 1950s loafer that ran..... :D

http://www.stevenchalmers.com/Gravely/MowIn2001/LawnBoyLoafer.jpg

for those of you that don't know. The loafer was a little tractor type thing that bolted to the back deck of a lawn boy mower. You started both engines, jumped on and shifted it into gear. Just be careful you don't fall off, or your mower takes off down the street, mowing everything and everybody in its path....

Great suggestions guys! I do want a rear wheel drive self propelled model. Snow is not a problem here in the sunny south so that's never a concern. Grass I have too is a combination of bermuda/ centipede and has to be cut 2X wk during peak season.

Does Honda market a Type R mower with LOTS of stickers?? Or one with a big wing? Maybe I can intimidate the grass with such a machine.

On that John Deere JX75, what's the ballpark price range on that model?

The Kawasaki engine as top notch. We have them in various equipment and put them to the test everyday. The B&S and Tech engines are fine too. They all make quality stuff. Don't be afraid of a Japanese engine..

I bought the Cub Cadet at Lowe's last year and the thing has been great so far. I would buy it again. That is just from my experience, I am not saying there aren't other good ones out there.

The JD in the review was actually a better machine AND $120 cheaper than the Sears. Add the bag for $50 and you're still ahead. It is right in your price range!

There is a reason JD is the standard by which others are judged. They are the best and last the longest. I own a Cub Cadet (from when I used to work for another company) but will DEFINETLY buy a JD just for the quality comparison. Go try them out first if not just to start them up and hang on to that vibrating POS. The JD is a Cadillac in comparison. If it comes down to a Honda or a JD, why would you buy a Japanese vs. an American model? Want to get really serious? How about one of these to cut your grass?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/FR/media/images/photogallery/9750STS_41421_G.jpg