Need help on parachute

gund

I figure this where most of the fast buick guy's hang out and so most of you have parachutes.

Here is what I need a parachute for:

87 GN hardtop street legal 10.5 MT ET Drag
3400 lbs with driver

Right now the car has the following:

355 sbc
twin 74qtq's
1000+ rwhp (will see in 3 to 4 weeks)
should run in the 8's at 150+ mph

Car will have and need to spec. chute for:

421 sbc
twin gt-42's or 76gtq
1800rwhp
7's at 170+ mph

What have you used and what do you like and dislike?

Deist, Stroud, Simpson.....

CO2 launchers, spring launchers

Thanks

Kenneth Gund

Need parachute help

Here is what I need a parachute for:

87 GN hardtop street legal 10.5 MT ET Drag
3400 lbs with driver

Right now the car has the following:

355 sbc
twin 74qtq's
1000+ rwhp (will see in 3 to 4 weeks)
should run in the 8's at 150+ mph

Car will have and need to spec. chute for:

421 sbc
twin gt-42's or 76gtq
1800rwhp
7's at 170+ mph

What have you used and what do you like and dislike?

Deist, Stroud, Simpson.....

CO2 launchers, spring launchers

Thanks

Kenneth Gund

I was planning on running a stroud with the spring launcher. I figure my car when done should run in the mid to high 7's. Your best bet is to probably call the manufacturers and see what they recommend for your weight and horsepower. Better to have too much chute than not enough, some really fast cars run two.:)

We use a dual Stroud setup on the Pro Mod car, with an air launcher. There are a bunch of different setups out there, but pretty much all of the manufacturers tailor a setup to your needs; they don't just blast out a generic setup. Prices between brands are pretty comparable, depending on the pilot release you want (air, spring, etc.).

Ken,

You are going nuts, please send me pics and emails.

Stu,

High to Mid 7s you are cracking me up!;)

Ken,

Here is some info from Stroud.Drag chutes only understand two things: weight and speed. Body styles also enter in, but somewhat differently than you would expect. To figure out how much canopy you need, use this simple formula and match it to your class.
(weight in lbs. of car)*(speed in mph) / 1000.

This is the MAX for S/C. If you have a higher number than this, you must move to a stronger chute.

S/C 240 or less....Part # 400 S/C 330 or less....Part # 410 S/C 400 or less.... Part #420 S/C 460 or less....Part #430 Alcohol/Fuel Rail Must use 2 chutes....#440/450 Alcohol/Fuel Funny Must use 2 chutes....#460/470
http://www.stroudsafety.com/chute.htm

My car uses a Simpson 10' onehttp://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=266&prod_id=2256 I think I'm going to update to the 12' one.Take care and good luck.Scott

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I have been to the manufacture's websites and have talked to them but what I am really looking for is real world insite into using them.

One person told me they liked the Stroud over the Simpson becuase it did not hit as hard.

Is one easier to pack, etc.

Thanks for the info.

I ordered and will be installing a single Stroud Pro Comp chute with spring launcher.

I will have to add a second chute later because of the weight of my car.

Good choice. Stoud knows their stuff. Chute selection and the number of chutes required is all about speed vs weight. I run a single Stroud canopy with air launcher. I am pushing the need for two due to my cars weight and speed. I prefer the air over the spring because it's easier and faster to repack, but it does require a CO2 bottle.