need help...issues keeping car running

RobertM

i hope this is the right area..hello all...i am having quite a bit of issues with my buick.Basicly in a nutshell it runs PERFECT!!!! until the warm comes to full tempeture and it stall(or attempts to).ive already replaced coil,module,wires and 2x set of plugs..its like bogs down and trys to stall..if it doesnt stall then the idle shoots sky high(2-3krpm)...i had a guy who owns a 86 gn took a look at the cam sensor and checked the crank sensor..cam senser is 100% fine crank seems fine...not 100%....now my father says it may be a vac leak or it could be the o2 sensor i changed(he had a gnx one that i installed)....wondered if you guys had any idea

ps on a side note we though we had this issue fixed and i took it for a test drive and gave it a little boost(bout 5 psi) and on the way back down i got a service light throwing the #31 code for the wastegate solenoid.. duuno if related and for the record i did have to pull the turbo off to install a new exhaust gasket...fun to do on a car that got drove 1x a month for 10 years

pss
the guy who helped me said my engine grounds were toast and needs to be relocated

Thanks for the time and sorry in advance if this is wrong thread
Robert M

your going to hear this alot...... sorry...... do you have a scan tool, like a scanmaster? I would look at the IAC to see what numbers its throwing around. Could also be a vacuum leak, easiest way to check is get a can of carb cleaner, start the engine and spray around vacuum sources. If there is a leak then the RPM will change. But with the engine stalling and RPM racing you would hear the leak. HTH

at this very moment do i do not...i know he checked it with his everything seemed fine..even the o2 seemed fine...we could never get it to do this when i had it...but the good news is its a fairly short drive to pick-up my dads old 1 for this car..now before this issue happend we checked the fuel pressure and a idle it was fine but at wot it was weak very weak.i have a warlboro pump in the trunk and the full kit waiting to be installed i just need to fix all these little issues before i go and do a big job like that and perhaps screw up there and make this whole process even longer...but from what ive know all my life is these cars cost alot but there so worth it :)this car has been around since i was 2

ok update i swaped out the new gnx o2 sensor with the old t sensor and it ran very weird with a VERY high idle and threw code 15....coolent temp sensor low temp....ill get the scan asap might take a few days

With the key off:

unplug the O2 sensor. (leave it unplugged for some testing)

reset the ECM (there is an orange wire near the battery, unplug it for 10 sec and replug)

Start the car and see how it runs during warm up, and once it warms up, see if the stalling symptom reappears. Let us know what happens.

Install your fuel pump soon.

Bob

wiggle the wires on the temp sender when it acts up.. mine did the same thing, and it was caused by the insulation on the wires shrinking and allowing the 2 wires to connect, which made the ecm think it was cold all the time.. it ran fine until it got up to about 150 degrees, then it would want to die.

better yet get the scanmaster and you'd know what actual temp reading the ecm coolant sensor was showing
unlike the IAT sensor by the maf the ecm coolant sensor has a great effect on fueling

quit guessing and get it , it will be there 24-7 giving you info that gauges just cant provide , combined with a little education on what the numbers mean and some patience before going pedal down can save you hundreds if not thousands in repairs
and youll need it to set the iac properly , makes setting tps easy and youll be able to monitor blms which once you understand them and realize when there are issues it can help make a running car a great running car

thanks pace yea i need to go grab it....i complete forgot i had to replace my iac...we took a look at it and it shot accross the carport so i got a new 1 and put it in...sorry forgot to metion that.but ill get the scanner from my dad he has his old one form the 80's

@nova and bob ty you as well and ill give those both a try on the weekend...little too busy until then

OK UPDATE...so i replaced the o2 sensor with the old(per my fathers request)...made things 1000 percent worse....and my battery died..so my computer reset....so with old 02 sensor my rpms were everywhere(3k range)....so i put the newer one back on...and still prms everywhere...i replaced the coolant temp sensor too...rpms still everywhere...not enough battery to get a code....so yea im in a rut til the wifey gets back and i get the car jumped....im starting to rip my hair out...still have yet to get scan master...hard to get it without a car...ill try to go grab it as soon as my dad gets back

ok update 2.0 I HAVE THE OTC2000 finally....ok so and i also got it to fire back up right....completely forgot to try the o2 sensor trick...but anyhoot i got her to fire....engine begins to stall out @ 180 degrees then dies.....otc show codes everywhere like 12 13 15 31 51
seems like its trowing all the codes for sensors/computer...this is all assuming im using this right and i think i am...is there a certin way i needed to set up the IAC or is it plug and play(no set-up required)

ok...tried to o2 trick...it shot the rpms way high around 2k....replaced o2 ....same result....but the other day it started fine.....it not consistant...rpms change....ran the car in diag mode...flashed 12 over 10 times.....i cant keep starting this car with a 2.5k rpm on a 90 degree motor...so its parked and im done with it for now...guess i need to order the ground relocation kit from kirban and go from there