Need help from Hot Air Guys

G

Getchasum

I found an 85 GN. The motor is busted and out of the car. It has a great body, nice interior, needs paint ($1000). I think Im going to buy. Would it be best to find a hot air motor or convert or to an intercooled car. If it was to be converted what would expected cost be. I quick run down of what it would require would be great! What do you guys think about the price? Tks Scott.

87 Gn original owner, 28000 miles

if all the stuff is there to go back hotair then that would be alot cheaper than switching over.

if you find a complete 86-87 setup as far as motor wireing harness and all accesories you'll probly spend from $2500-$3000 just for that then you'll have a old motor still

i done the whole conversion on mine and im going to be converting it back to hotair before much longer cause i want to put my i/c motor in my elcamino so i quit trashing my ttype.

What do you think about the price? Nice car, 80,000 miles. I know it needs a block, maybe a crank, Tks Scott

i think if you dont get it you should let me know..:D

sounds like a desent deal to me.

85 block aint nothing special so they are cheap to come up with

I looked into converting my 85 to an intercooled style, but you have to change A LOT. Best bet is to keep the hot air setup and add an intercooler from spearco (or similar) $1000 for an intact GN (any year) is a steal. I have a complete 85 engine that so faras I know is rebuildable (haven't torn it down yet) I live in Chapel Hill, if you want it you can have it!

Thanks you the input guys! I'm still torn as to buy the car or not. I know it's a good deal, but If I buy, I would really like to convert to a cold air car. What kind of preformance is expected from a hot air car with adding an intercooler to it? What does it take to get these cars to run 14's to 13's? Tks Scott

EASY, with very little mods like , fuel pump , adj reg , new valve springs, cone filter , down pipe, ta 33 turbo and intercooler i was running in the mid 12's easy with no tuning and a craked header. Belive me with the right parts you can fly in these cars. A 13-14 sec run you wont even need a intercooler ask some of these guys they are doing that now easy.

go for the deal when you get it running and on the road we will be glad you did .

The hotairs respond to mods like the IC cars you just start out slower.

Dad's car: (low mileage)Adjustable FP regulator, 20psi boost on 92 octane with a small amount of Xylene, KB street chip, K&N, through full exhaust went 14.0@100mph.

My car: Only mods was 13psi boost, K&N,
and a FM intercooler went 13.9@ 101mph very low boost.

If you're only looking for 12s then it's an easy choice. Stay with the hotair. If you want to go faster it's a tossup. There are memebers on this board that go 11s with no intercooler with production heads and intake. With the hotairs the turbo is pretty much maxed out at the upper 12 second range. The downpipe has to be upgraded sooner because it necks down to 1" in places, and the obvious, it lacks an intercooler. All three of which you would most likely upgrade on an IC car anyway to go faster than 11.99.

I do think the IC cars are a much more efficient layout. Turbo sits right on the header and it's just plain less cluttered looking. I've had people ask me why in the hell I put the turbo on top of the motor because with the intercooler it looks kind of out of place. There's a lot more support and proven combos for the IC cars but the hotairs are getting there.

i got to 13:0's with stock turbo still in place but did have a lil bit of bowl work on heads and gasket matching along with a barely over stock cam i'll go did up what i had done it would be easy 12's with a turbo upgrade.

since the motors out it would be easy to duplicate what i did and add a better turbo even a stock 86-87 turbo would do and you'd have a good daily driver and then you can upgrade the i/c car of yours..;)

I have to agree....upgraded injectors, a good exhaust system and a chip alone will get you into the 13's. Sveral people I know who added the spearco or similar i/c kit say thats good for another 2- 3 tenths..from there it just becomes a question of how fast can you afford to go.....

Spearco takes almost a second off 1/4 times at stock boost levels and probably a whole second at higher levels. The stock injectors are the same between the two and will go deep into the 12s.

Thanks for all the info. This car is sounding better and better. It may have found a home. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted as I may need some help on this side of the board. Tks, Scott