Need help! 4.1 question.

ds4545

If I ever get this new engine running I am going to have a party. Current issue. When I put water into the radiator on my new 4.1 build it is getting into the oil pan as well. I have a new front cover and water pump. It appears to be getting in through the front of the engine because the water level never reached the upper radiator hose. Is there any difference between the 3.8 block and the 4.1 block related to the front cover/water pump, or did I just mess up in assembly.

Will start disassembly tonight. The water got to the oil pan rather quickly so hopefully it is not a crack in the block. Hopefully I messed up the gasket on assembly, but just wanted to run the problem by everyone in case it is something to do with the 4.1 block vs a 3.8 block.

Thanks in advance.

The only differences in the block concerning the front cover is the oil pan bolts.
Is the water getting in though the intake by way of the lifter valley because of a faulty intake installation?

I'd find it awfully hard to believe that it's coming in from an intake gasket leaking if the motor has never been fired up and it's coming in fast, unless the gasket is way off. I'd look into the front cover a little more. Has the motor been ran? Have you tried to pressure test the system to see if you can hear any air coming past any of the gaskets?

No, I have not pressure tested yet. I may need to do that before I start disassembly. The engine has not been run yet, thats what I was going to do yesterday.

I use Permetex gasket sealer on all of my gasket and I very rarely have a leak. That stuff is the best! I would try it and put it on all surfaces, front and back. It's in a white can and has a brush on the lid, somewhat like PVC glue. It's a purple liquid in the can.

With the little info given, I would consider the front cover a number 1 suspect.

Is this a new China cover?

It would be prudent to do some testing before taking things apart, like a pressure test. I "assume" the engine is in the car?

With the oil drained, and the oil pan plug removed, does water flow out from there when put into the radiator. If so, a what is the level in the rad when the water stop flowing?

The level can indicate if it is an intake gasket not sealing, cracked head, or lower, like from the timing cover.

If this is a "new" block to you, did you have it checked for cracks when it was machined? Have seen cylinders crack and leak water.

Good luck, hope it works out for you. :)

With the little info given, I would consider the front cover a number 1 suspect.

Is this a new China cover?

It would be prudent to do some testing before taking things apart, like a pressure test. I "assume" the engine is in the car?

With the oil drained, and the oil pan plug removed, does water flow out from there when put into the radiator. If so, a what is the level in the rad when the water stop flowing?

The level can indicate if it is an intake gasket not sealing, cracked head, or lower, like from the timing cover.

If this is a "new" block to you, did you have it checked for cracks when it was machined? Have seen cylinders crack and leak water.

Good luck, hope it works out for you. :)

Good info Nick!

I do have one question for you as far as where the level of the radiator is once it stops draining. Wouldnt it only drain out of the lower radiator hose into the motor? If so, would it actually go to the higher level at the headgasket if that was the culprit? I wouldnt think the t-stat would allow it to flow throught the upper hose and i couldnt see it pushing itself up enough to the headgasket or even the intake gasket. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to think this one out as well. I had leaking headgaskets once but it would leak until I ran the motor and pressurized the system. I did pressure test my motor with the oil plug removed and no coolant came out of the plug. But once the motor was hot, it leaked.