Need helllllllllpppp!!!!!!

Shamusvelez

Ok..... Overhauled my 85' gn. Brand new just about everything. Rebuilt motor with a reputable builder everything brand new, as well as most of the bolt ons ( altenator, starter, water pump, intake manifold etc.)
Having a problem with the oil-choke light, Oil pressure problem. Housing is brand new as was replaced with the engine rebuild. Motor mech fiddled and adjusted a couple of things as per his advisors ( springs, shims, etc.) things in and around the oil pump housing. Things i know nothing about. Im new to this so i just would like to know.... What other things with this car could it be thats causing the oil-choke light to come on? I know these motors are problematic when it comes to the oil flowing, just need some input from folks that have maybe had similar problems and what remedies were used to fix them. A broader process of elimination. Bare in mind im temporarily canceling out the possibility that its the cam bearing, or something that was f-ed up in the rebuild process (tolerances etc.) because this is an experienced motor builder. What else causes oil pressure problems??? Please help me!!!

hook up a real gauge and see if it's actually an oil pressure problem. might just be that the wire to the oil pressure sender is pinched off somewhere or the sender is bad.

What I prefer to do . . . . :eek:
Hook up a good gage, and prime the motor with a 600 rpm drill, which equates to 1200 rpm.
You should see 60-70 PSI cold.
If you don't see the pressure in this range, there is a problem.
You can than resolve before turning the key.

Thinking it's the cam bearing. Motor was recently rebuilt by a good motor mech, possibly the machine shop or something f-ed up in the rebuild process, so, motor is coming back out as we speak and getting to the bottom of it. Went crazy looking at the pickup tube, sending unit, wires, etc. Etc. It's a shame it has to come out but definitely can't fuck around anymore chasing ghosts, and def can't fuck this up. Way too much money invested and way to much blood sweat and tears so, I will keep y'all posted with the outcome. And then hopefully post pics of the car, she's beautiful, she's just not drinking oil at the moment. I'll let you know if I murder my hot-rod shop so we can grab all the cool cars and stuff! -jimmy

Sent from my iPad using Turbo Buick

Of course my motor mech is gonna blame it on the machine shop! Apparently they did not tighten a plug behind the cam enough? Whatever, just fix it, i wanna race! Lol! Im glad they finally got there shit together and resolved this. Its been a fuckin nightmare!!! Bad thing is, they had to pull my motor to find and fix it. Car was all together ready to run and someone shit the bed. Good thing is, its fixed, i can finally have my whip, and im taking advantage of the motor being out and doing some porting of the heads and intake. I cant thank everyone enough for all your advice and input. Wasnt any of the common gremlins just common sense gremlins in someone that touched my motor. Im confident all is well now and i cant wait till she hits the road. Im going to post a thread on the project for all to enjoy soon and im sure all my hotair brethren are going to love it! Until then thanks again to all who gave a shit, i really appreciate it! Ltr =)