need everyones opinions please

boosted84

Does anyone out there run alky if you do was it worth getting it how does the car feel faster? same? i wanna get a little faster ive raced a bunch of 86- 87s in my area im way quicker than them which suprises me (stock turbo ) but they slowly start to creep up 2 of the ones i raced have a 49 turbo and im still quicker with my exhaust leak ;) but with them its a close race and im ahead buy half a car length but i can see them creepin my friend said its because the intercooler would alky give me these benefits or more due to the increase in octane it gives im lookin at julios kit good or bad i saw on his page stock trim hot air 12s all opinions appreciated just lookin for a bit more if you know what i mean :D

thanks all Anthony

i posted about alky for our cars a few months ago and didnt get to many responses. my guess is that not to many people on here use it?

tpivette89 said:
i posted about alky for our cars a few months ago and didnt get to many responses. my guess is that not to many people on here use it?

*****Quite a few people on this site do use alcohol injection. Both of the people who design and sell the most popular systems for Turbo Buicks post on this site regularly.

Do a search on the subject and you should find several hundred if not more postings on benefits, tuning, different setups, etc..

Bottom line for the first poster is that yes, if tuned properly, it will make you faster than running pump gas alone. Yes, if tuned properly, it is very noticeable and probably one of the most cost efficient means of running much higher boost than would be possible on pump gas alone.

Hope this helps

Billy

Alky

I have a 70K GN with the basic upgrades. T/A 49, CAS V4 intercooler, RJC plate, refreshed trans, 50# and a new fuel pump. I found that the car just didn't pull hard after getting into 3rd. Julio's kit was installed at the Nationals. With very little tuning and a new chip the transition into alcohol is seamless and it pulls hard. I was interested in going faster without the bigger turbo, front mount, louder exhaust, etc. ($$$$). Now that I have driven it around for a while on alky, I would do it again, no doubt.
And with the cost of race gas...

MaxVO2 said:
*****Quite a few people on this site do use alcohol injection. Both of the people who design and sell the most popular systems for Turbo Buicks post on this site regularly
i was talking about on THIS forum... im aware that alot of the intercooled cars use alky, but when i posted about it for the HOTAIR cars, hardly anyone responded

Alky = good for hotair, intercooled, stock, highly modded....doesnt matter. It is the one mod that plain out complements whatever setup you have. Hands down the best mod Ive had. I started playing around with it years back ('98 or '99). Changed components and setup over the years, but always added a great benefit. I have since then moved up to Julio/Razor's kit when he made it available, simply because IMO its the best.
As far as hotairs with alky? YES there are plenty who have been using alky for some time. Most who KNOW do so. Alky/h2o injection on a hotair was meant to be, even GM thought so ;) . This website has been around for quite some time now and I think what has happened here in this forum, and probably the others too, is that so much info has been typed over and over about the same subject that some guys/gals just dont chime in as much as they may have used to, just to type the same thing again. I admit I am guilty of this. In my/our defense, that is what the search feature is for. There isnt much that someone hasnt already gone through or tried before, so by checking past threads your almost certain to find answers to almost every question.
Be sure to check the other forums also. Believe it or not, whether 84/85 or 86/87, there is very little difference in these cars. We are all trying to achieve the same thing and the principles and basics are all the same. The benefit of alky on a IC car is the same on a hotair car, so you can learn from their posts as well. Oh, and yes you will find hotair specific info in the alky injection forum, I know because I posted there plenty in the past as well as Leeo and others. Plus you have the benefit of Julio who is always eager to help as a moderator there. The General Tech section Is not the 86/87 section, although thats what some think. I have found lots of pertinent info there in the past on all TR aspects. Again IMO, the similarities out weigh the differences. The great benefit of the hotair specific forum is to learn about 84/85 specifics like the need to gut/port the restrictive stock intake. These specifics help to level the playing field. After that its all the same :) Just target the points that the factory didnt do quite so good on. Then you can be as fast (or faster) than the stock 86/87, still with no IC and still virtually stock. Then you start to add the goodies, and really turn some heads. That is the way I have always approached it. [Also let me just mention the word TUNING].

P.S. Thats my car on Julio's site - 12s in street trim. Thats a stock never rebuilt block, same basic bolt on mods that any 86/87 would add, small turbo, street tires, always 93 octane, with the usual crap a street car would have- spare, tools, and baby seat ;) Never had a ounce of race gas in it and yet to be on slicks. I believe the car is faster now with no changes other than tinkering but havent been able to make it to the track yet this season (maybe next week). IMHO alky injection has allowed me to achieve more power and keep me from breaking something all the time with as much as I beat on the car :rolleyes: :cool:

Alcohol

I tried an alcohol set up from an outfit in Bowling Green about ten years ago. It wasn't a good experience. All I got was a car that really bogged down under injection/boost.
After several months of trying to get it tweaked, I took it off and didn't look back.
I have the disadvantage of 7,000 feet above sea level, so that has to be taken into account on what issues I had. Hope you have better luck.

alky kits have come a long way in ten years, with the new progressive controllers bog isn't nearly as big of an issue, since they no longer pump only a constant volume of alky.

Alcohol

Thanks for the info. I need to look into the matter again. It may be worth it.

Like my brother said
Alky = good for hotair, intercooled, stock, highly modded....doesnt matter. It is the one mod that plain out complements whatever setup you have. Hands down the best mod Ive had.

i've watched my brothers car go from a total TURD :D to actually goin fast....someday he might go faster than my car...... :D hahaha.. actually right now he can because my car is down for mods.... ;) but I cant wait for grudge matches at the track..

and DR. D as far as 10 years ago and that bowling green crap... buick power is right.... alky has come a HUGE way since those days.... and for what its worth my brother started with that whack ass kit too.... [thats when it was still a TURD....hahaha]

Dr. D said:
I tried an alcohol set up from an outfit in Bowling Green about ten years ago. It wasn't a good experience. All I got was a car that really bogged down under injection/boost.
After several months of trying to get it tweaked, I took it off and didn't look back.
I have the disadvantage of 7,000 feet above sea level, so that has to be taken into account on what issues I had. Hope you have better luck.
Ditto what buickpower said. With progressive on my car aswell as both of my brothers' TRs ('86 and '87), from experience I can tell you, unless youve really got things out of whack, there is NO bog issue at all. Julio tests every PAC and sets it pretty much how you'll need it before he ships.
Unfortuneately there wasnt much support [like now] when the BG setup was out. I purchased the BG kit way back when also, but started experimenting pretty early on. All that was left after awhile from the kit was the hobbs switch. The BG kit used a small Bosch winshield wiper pump from a Mercedes! :eek: :D The wiper pump was fine until you wanted to get moving!
As with everything the key was taking the time to tune.The trick to those "old school" setups was to have the alky come on just before you have KR (I think around 12-15 psi is where I usually had it set). If you have the hobbs switch adjusted to trigger too early you will bog. Even set "perfectly" it didnt change the fact that you really didnt need full output right away, which is why the progressive technology makes so much sense. Plus with the progressive you spray much sooner cooling the air charge virtually right away under boost, unlike when waiting to spray later on.

Royal-T-Ltd said:
Like my brother said

i've watched my brothers car go from a total TURD :D to actually goin fast....someday he might go faster than my car...... :D hahaha.. actually right now he can because my car is down for mods.... ;) but I cant wait for grudge matches at the track..

and DR. D as far as 10 years ago and that bowling green crap... buick power is right.... alky has come a HUGE way since those days.... and for what its worth my brother started with that whack ass kit too.... [thats when it was still a TURD....hahaha]
Uh, thanks, I think, little brother.....but my car was never a turd :p Besides, it WAS faster... last year :cool: While all the IC cars around here sit, the old hotair car is always on the road ready to go ;)

P.S. nice pic, need to find out how to add one