need carb for new project

Got a carb and intake to try out. I notice the carb has a side feed and the dualjet has a front facing feed. Can I bend the line to reach the quadrajet or do I need to make a fuel line to connect the old line to the carb?

Got the car running off the dualjet. Seems to start and idle well but as soon as I drop it in gear it dies. I can keep it running if I'm quick enough and it will drive. Sprayed some brake clean around the base and carb and didn't notice a change in idle so I don't think I have any big vac leaks. Gonna throw a new fuel filter in now that I've run a few gallons of gas through it.

I've considered installed the 4 barrel intake and carb I have but some have said it isn't worth the work and the carb sat for a long time after being rebuilt.

Shouldn't have to. There's gotta be an issue elsewhere or the carb has a bad gasket and I'm not finding it. Tomorrow I'm gonna plug off the swap out the fuel filter. I flipped the throttle a few times and its shooting fuel.

Is the O2 sensor in good shape? These one-wire sensors are dirt cheap now.

I'd check for vacuum leaks on the 'devices'. Things like the EGR valve and MAP. Sometimes they leak internally. I believe a lot of 'carb' problems are actually 'things connected to the carb' problems. I'm reluctant to mess with a feedback carb unless I'm 100% it's really the carb.

I chased a vacuum leaks for a long time until I hooked a scan tool and saw the MAP wasn't reading anything but atmospheric pressure. Found out the line to it was dry rotted in a place I couldn't see.

I got the car to run slightly better. A code 53 popped up today when I let it warm up. Have no idea what it is. Tomorrow I'm gonna put s new base gasket in and start trying to all of the vacuum operated sensors and stuff. I also saw there is a sensor just to the right of the t stat housing but no connector for it. What the hell is it? For a motor that was mass produced there is very little info for it.

It holds vacuum. If the passages were plugged would it still cause it to die when I put my foot on the gas while in gear?

Im starting to think the carbs got some plugged channels.

wind up the motor to some good RPM....... get her spinning.

then slap your hand right across the carb inlet and choke it fully, a rag might be needed . let that vacuum pull completely.. it will more then likely flood the carb bad. if it floods real bad, let it dry and try again later. if it doesnt flood toooooo bad and you can keep it alive, try it a few times.

that might help unplug a bad idle and mid circuit.

It holds vacuum. If the passages were plugged would it still cause it to die when I put my foot on the gas while in gear?

Probably not. Iwas suggesting that as a cause of the DTC 53 (if 53 is indeed EGR). That and they always seem to be plugged anyway.

OK. Looks like I'm stuck at a crossroads here. Rebuild the dualjet or rebuild the 4 barrel and go that route.

rebuild the dual jet

dont get caught up in swapping all kinds of stuff around, stay true to your goal and spend the money where its needed for the 455.

How hard are they to do? I've never done carb before. I'm sure I can getnit back together. I have no carb tools though.

Not hard if you take your time and follow directions. If it's never been opened then it's a bit more time consuming.