Need another recommendation...a mechanical oil pressure gauge..

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Finally my electronic oil pressure gauge gave out. Not happy, (not much use out of it). I don't care if it's the sending unit or the gauge it's electronic and untrustworthy on longevity. I need a good mechanical one. PSI's should max about 100. Any suggestions guys...thanks!

I am on my phone so it is hard to search, but try to find an older thread about gauges I posted in. I posted a pic of my crappy Autometer next to my Stewart Warner oil pressure. SW is so much nicer, better illum, and more detailed reading. Going strong about 7yrs, most of it daily driving. If u cant find it, i'll look when I get on my laptop.

BINGO! I found your post on the SW. I like the way it looks do you know what's the part# ? I too have an electric Autometer (2-5/8) on my Dodge, (formally off of my Buick), I don't like it, (too big). The electronic one that died is Cyberdyne digital. I had one die under warranty and they sent me this one and now it's more than likely the sending unit, (but I don't care I don't like electronic anymore). Mechanical is the way to go on oil gauges.

If you run at a drag strip, don't use plastic tubing. It will fail tech inspection at some tracks. Get the braided line precut to the correct length. Of course, don't forget to tighten both ends. Good thing my carpet is black.

If you run at a drag strip, don't use plastic tubing. It will fail tech inspection at some tracks. Get the braided line precut to the correct length. Of course, don't forget to tighten both ends. Good thing my carpet is black.

Man I don't do drag. o_O But what's the deal with the braided hose?

Plastic hose can melt if it contacts anything hot and cause a fire. It can also crack at the fittings from age and vibration. I ran my plastic hose inside a piece of vacuum hose, and it worked fine until it got turned down at tech inspection. After I got the pre-made braided hose, I realized how easy it was to connect and how much safer it was. It cost more, but well worth it. It comes in various lengths.

I went with a summit brand oil pressure gauge and it seems to work pretty well. cost made it worthwhile! i agree on the plastic tubing... if not braded atleast a copper tube.

...I ran my plastic hose inside a piece of vacuum hose, and it worked fine until it got turned down at tech inspection. After I got the pre-made braided hose, I realized how easy it was to connect and how much safer it was. It cost more, but well worth it. It comes in various lengths.

Were do you get this braided hose for a mechanicical oil pressure gauge?

Here is mine at summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-214518/overview/

Here is the copper line I used to plumb it:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3224/overview/

Braided line would be nicer looking, but the copper line was cheap, and at the time, so was I! I ran the copper inside of vacuum line to shield it from chafing and just to hide it. Has worked fine for about 9 years, even with the motor being out 3-4 times, intake being off another 3 times, valve covers off many times, etc.

....Braided line would be nicer looking, but the copper line was cheap, and at the time, so was I!
Cheap is a beautiful word...I love CHEAP! :rolleyes:
.... ran the copper inside of vacuum line to shield it from chafing and just to hide it. Has worked fine for about 9 years, even with the motor being out 3-4 times, intake being off another 3 times, valve covers off many times, etc.
Endurance, longevity...woman love those words...:D

If I would of known earlier I would of ordered the copper line along with the SW gauge I ordered from Summit, (the one you linked).

Call them, they will add it to the order as long as it hasn't shipped. They are usually pretty good about that. I always forget crap!

I think I have bought copper line kits for gauges at like pep boys or even auto zone. Just look in their ricer section, or gauge section.