Need advisement

ZNix

Young-Gun
Hello, most of you know me but for those that don't, I am Zack. A 16 year old kid who absolutely loves these cars. Over the past week, I have been pondering cars, what I like, and what I want to own. I really love the look of Grand National, and the WE4. But it seems I can never find one that is in good enough condition, or is in the price range I am looking. Maybe I am being unreasonable? I am looking to spend about 8k for a car, but if it really really peaks my interest, I can probably get up to 14k with a little help from the parents. For the 8k, my criteria was basic, no rust, okay paint, and runs nice. Now the other thing I was pondering is, should I really get one of these for my first car? So your advice is what I want. Should I? I really like the look of the newer GTO's, Camaros the 300c's are gorgeous... Even the Chargers. I want something fast off the line. I am not a speeder, and will never. But I just can't get enough of the rush from hard acceleration! Reliability is also a factor, but not entirely as I know old cars, they break. So yea, Post up your advice, maybe point out a couple cars you know that could peak my interest. And if you happen to have a nice GN/WE4 close by for sale, let me know!

Thanks
Zack

P.S. To those who have PMed me. I am having problems with using the Messages tab on my home computer. It only works when I am at the library, and I don't go there often :D. Ill get back to you ASAP.

I don't recommend a turbo Buick for your first car. You need to know how to work on them, not anybody can work on them, parts can be expensive, they can be temperamental, thieves love them plus with any high hp car, you have to excess great responsibility in how you drive the car or you'll end up wrapped around a tree or upside down in a ditch somewhere....and due to it being a forced induction car, IMO you have to have even more responsibility than a n/a engine b/c you have to watch for knock during boost or you can damage the engine.

For what you're looking for, unless you willing to go with a hot air car or you find someone that needs to sell theirs in a hurry, $8k for what you're asking for isn't exactly going to cut it. That's not to say it's not possible, just it doesn't happen often.

You can say you're not a speeder all you want, but by saying that you dig off the sudden acceleration rush from a dead stop, you're only lying to yourself. The law calls such actions "exhibition of speed". Trust me I was there once too...sang the same song...temptation eventually led me to seeing how fast I could get it to. Still gives me a rush but I know it's not safe either. Besides what young kid buys a fast car and doesn't drive it fast?

I'd say for you, get you a 1996-2002 Camaro/Firebird with the 3.8 liter V6 n/a. Should be enough for a 1st timer.

I don't recommend a turbo Buick for your first car. You need to know how to work on them, not anybody can work on them, parts can be expensive, they can be temperamental, thieves love them plus with any high hp car, you have to excess great responsibility in how you drive the car or you'll end up wrapped around a tree or upside down in a ditch somewhere....and due to it being a forced induction car, IMO you have to have even more responsibility than a n/a engine b/c you have to watch for knock during boost or you can damage the engine.

For what you're looking for, unless you willing to go with a hot air car or you find someone that needs to sell theirs in a hurry, $8k for what you're asking for isn't exactly going to cut it. That's not to say it's not possible, just it doesn't happen often.

You can say you're not a speeder all you want, but by saying that you dig off the sudden acceleration rush from a dead stop, you're only lying to yourself. The law calls such actions "exhibition of speed". Trust me I was there once too...sang the same song...temptation eventually led me to seeing how fast I could get it to. Still gives me a rush but I know it's not safe either. Besides what young kid buys a fast car and doesn't drive it fast?

A kid who has had a close family member die from a high speed accident. Trust me, speeding is not something I will ever do. Ever. Unless at the track of course. But that is a whole different situation. Anyways, I believe what you are saying is the TRs are not for someone who doesn't know them well. And I am sure others will tend to agree. But didn't we all start somewhere? I am sure you really had no idea when you first got into these things what you were actually getting into. So what would you recommend to fit my criteria?

Zack,

Get u a beater that is cheap and reliable. That way you always have wheels.
Then ether with the car u have or sell it off and get the one closes to what you want. Start building, 1 thing at a time. Not a TSM version but a nice quick Sunday cruiser.Great if it is running but ok if it is not. By the time you get it where you want it you will have a much more appreciation for the car with the work and time you have in it. Don't give up on your dream because some smooth leg wants to ride in a nicer car, if that is the case you don't need her.

Zack,

Get u a beater that is cheap and reliable. That way you always have wheels.
Then ether with the car u have or sell it off and get the one closes to what you want. Start building, 1 thing at a time. Not a TSM version but a nice quick Sunday cruiser.Great if it is running but ok if it is not. By the time you get it where you want it you will have a much more appreciation for the car with the work and time you have in it. Don't give up on your dream because some smooth leg wants to ride in a nicer car, if that is the case you don't need her.

Gotta agree with Ronnie here. Get a 4 door cheap beater that gets good gas mileage. Work on the car you've got and make it what you want. That will save you money and give you something reliable. Insurace will be cheaper as well.

Knowing you from the Facebook group, I say get the car you want. You are smart, you actually read posts here unlike the other young guys on here. You ask questions and you don't just jump on silly opportunities. Also lets keep in mind fellas, this kid has a GN. Yeah it is an 84 but it is a wonderful learning tool. I think to let this young man slip away and to stear him to another type of car would be silly of us. I say spend 1500 on a good running beater and take the rest and get you a good tr!

Just so everyone knows, I have a beater truck that I can drive. Its an 86 Nissan Pickup. 4x4 4 Cylinder :D. It belongs to my dad, but he said I can drive it during the winters. Runs and drives like a champ! I am looking for advisement on MY fun, summer car.

Thanks
Zack

my first car was a turbo regal. who said you have to put 14k in the car keep it stock until you get the money thats what i'm doing. as for paint i know you can do a really cheap paint job. when you get to that point pm me i can help you out and tell you the cheapes paint out there. its your first car so, it doesn't need to be a show car, but if you want to spend the time go for it.
i will say with a gn its a pain to drive to school, every dumb kid in a honda wants to race you. dont give up on your project! did my car when i was 15 and finished when i was 17 it just takes time. (see the vid in my sig)

I never said I was giving up on the 84 guys. We have plenty to do before I need money, and when it comes time I have enough saved for that. I have been working for years to gather up the kind of cash I have, and I want to have some fun with a nice car while me and my dad work on the 84 slowly. Besides, the 84 is more a longer term project, and most likely won't be done in time for me to get my license. Maybe next year, the year after. AND the 84 is going to be resto-modded. Notched frame, mini tub, front and rear discs, all that good stuff. So stay tuned, for when I start on it!

Not that cars are a good investment (there not). I would sell the 84 move
up to the 86/87. Same amount of work and cost but at least u have something that holds a little more value or is marketable.

If you don't believe that a 4x4 can be a fun summer vehicle then you're sadly mistaken kid. They're lots of fun if you know how to us them.

My plan

I am in the same boat as you Zack. I got my car March of this year I was 15. Well now I am 16 and I don’t know what I am going to do for a first car. I spend a lot of time and money on this car. My problem is the insurance. In New Jersey the insurance is though the roof on a ford Taurus, so I don’t want to know what it would be on a GN. Also the theft factor. IMO I would not use it as a first car, mine is going to become the weekend driver for me.:D

Zack, Get a Nice 99 -2002 Trans am or Z28. The have dependabile motors and you can get them cheap.. They run forever. There is a nice TA on boston Craiglist for $4k. Use the rest of your money on getting your buick running.

I think a stock 87' GN would be a fine first car if you have the extra to pay for repairs/maintenance. If you're struggling for money now, you won't be able to afford many mods for the car. The car isn't overly fast; it's quick but it won't kill you. I even drove through the winter put some decent tires on it.

The cars I have had since I turned 16(i'm 23 now)
-87' gn
-syclone
-87'gn
-typhoon
-03 cobra

/\ I had all those cars before I turned 19. The only car that got me in trouble was the cobra. I put into the ditch once and was scared of it since. My GN is faster but it's more controllable. Don't give into peer pressure, if you say no once or twice to your buddies. They will understand that you aren't going to goof around in your car. You have to respect it or it will disrespect you in a heart-beat.

Put the car in your parents name so insurance is cheaper and put them as the primary driver.

All in all, it's a fine car for a 16 year old. A stock or very close to stock Gn that is. Then buy a 1K dollar beater for everyday use.

Get yourself a '34 Chevrolet Master Sedan. That was my first car (in '61) Easy to work on, real cool.

Or get a '26 Model T Coupe....that's what I drove in high school ('62-'66)
One of the easiest cars in the WORLD to fix and drive.

Of course, you'll have consider some things about it:
First, top speed was 25mph, downhill 31 mph.
Second: No gas gauge, the gas tank is right above your knees, so you carry a stick in the trunk to check the gas level.
Third: no speedometer, temperature gauge, NOTHING but an ammeter. Accellerator rod is on the right side of the steering column, the spark rod on the left.
Fourth: No electric wipers, just one in front of your line of vision that was HAND OPERATED. Yes, and you had to drive at the same time using your left hand to move the wiper back and fourth in order to see, and also using your left hand to increase the spark rod if you increase the accellerator rod, while driving with the right hand, and using that hand also for the accellerator rod, plus the three pedals on the floor are used by your feet. So you get to do five things at once with four appendages!!!! No appendages left to hold a cell phone or pick your nose!!
Fifth: Three pedals on the floor: First pedal on left is 1st gear pressed to the floor, halfway out is neutral, all the way out is 2nd. The middle pedal is reverse, which you used to slow the car down only if going more than 20 mph, then you go to the last pedal on your right, which is the brake, used under 20 mph. Then you hold the left pedal half way to the floor in order to keep it in neutral, idling, using your left hand to decrease spark, and the right hand to decrease rpms and waiting for the light to change. Then, when green, push the pedal in and do all over again the above fun procedures.

AND: No radio, no heater, no defroster. So, in the winter I had to open the front windshield a little to "defrost" the windshield so I could see. Nothing like a 25mph blast of -9 degree wind to wake you up before first period.

It had an electric starter on the floor, but I used to go out and start it with one half crank of the hand crank....BE CAREFUL, do not let the handle get between your thumb and finger, a kickback would rip off your thumb. Rule of thumb.:rolleyes:

First thing is you put in the key in the dash....turn the switch to the right, turn the red switch handle it's in over to battery (left) pull out the choke, turn the same rod one and one one half turns to the right to start the gas flow (gravity fed) to the one barrel carb. Pull spark rod on left of steering column down half way, then accellerator rod on left of steering column down one fourth way, you'll hear the four coils under the hood buzzing. Push in the left pedal one half to the floor and hold it with the emergency brake rod on your left just for this purpose. This holds it in neutral and applies brake. Then step on the starter button beneath your left heel. Engine will catch, move switch from battery to magneto, turn fuel rod in one half turn, push in choke one half, push spark up one fourth of the way and pull down accelerator rod to bring up rpms.

Then, with your right foot on the brake pedal on the floor, push the left pedal in gently as you release the emergency brake lever. You'll feel the car rush off in first gear at a blazing three miles per hour. Then let out the left pedal into second when you feel the accelleration push you back at about .011228734 Gs, which is building up to about 20mph+. Hang on!!!!

Mind you, you have to do all of this while in traffic. I took my sweetheart to a lot of proms in this thing, and always had a long line of cars behind me. Their horns were really annoying.

Reverse all of this to stop.

Aren't you glad you're young and in this day and age? Strangely, I still miss my "T". I had a line of girls from school at the end of the day begging for rides in it. I couldn't go parking down the parkway at night with it.....it sat up so tall with all these windows, my girl felt as we were sitting in a glass cage for all to see. So, a downer there. (if you have to ask, my girl and I were virgins when we graduated.....hmmmm....wonder why?)

And don't forget....at night you have to switch the dash switch back to battery, as the magneto will burn out the big headlamps in no time flat.

My poor Mom....all during winter, I'd put the four wooden coil boxes from the "T" in her oven overnight to keep them warm, then put them in the box under the hood in the morning for school. Car always started right up. Never, never got stuck in rain, snow or mud. Though Mom was really getting pissed a lot when she opened up the oven door in the mornings to cook and found four Model T coils staring at her. I'm glad she never applied for a gun permit.

I forgot to add: once every week without fail, you HAVE to take out the floorboards over the transmission, unbolt the top cover, and tighten the four bands in the transmission for 1st, 2nd, reverse, brake. They loosen up every week, so this is a must do. Yes, lots of fun.

Well, enough of my "put you to sleep" story.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Dang Bruce...what a story...and all that just to drive a Model T Ford? :eek:

I've always been interested in how those things run. When you applied that left pedal for 1st, did you have to hold it down until changing to 2nd and then let up?

Wonder when they came out with the 3 speed manuals on the floor?

it be a hella first car man:cool:trust me, its gonna be hard to resist the urge of the turbo man.if u have something else to drive i'd do it.

Nice story Bruce! Certainly worth the read. Now I will know how to drive one of those T's if I ever need to!