need advice on saving a block

stagemonster

R.C. entourage
So I have a 0016 stg2 that is in beautiful shape. The block has never had any repairs and is strait as an arrow. The only problem with it is it has a 4.125 bore. My machinist say that it can be sleeved and it will work fine. He wants to use the sleeves that have a flange at the top and sit on the cylinder bore dry of course. Will this weaken the deck? Also on a bore that big is it still possible to press in a sleeve so it is interface fit at the bottom of the bore would that be any stronger. This will be in a street/ race car and will make between 800 and 1000 whp. Any help to shed light on this would be great.

Of course it will weaken the deck if a step is machined there.

It will be interesting how the sleeves will come together with a flange at the top where the middle cylinders meet since the bores meet there?

If you have the block sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness, it may work w/o sleeves.

If your machinist knows what he is doing, sleeves are not an issue. Many stage motors, as well as other motors have been run with multiple sleeves and survived years of abuse.

I wouldn't suggest the flange at the top, most of the time you just leave material at the bottom, as a "shelf" for the sleeve to sit on. I have personally done about 30 sleeves in blocks before my current profession. You keep the sleeve in the freezer until ready to use, put it in quickly. Clearances are very important at this point, because it needs to be able to go in fully and not get stuck part way down, but you also don't want the damn thing moving around once complete!

Like Nick says, have it sonic'ed. You may be able to use as it safely. Stage blocks have been hogged out max amounts for years and still survived.

When I was building an early 153 block that needed sleeves, I had talked to a few of the big SII folks and they had run them before at like 4.200" or something ridiculous. It all depends on how well the bores are centered, if there was core shift, and it can differ substantially block to block. I am not too familiar with the 0016's. You might hit up Neal Steward, Mike Booher, or one of the shops who have been building SII's for ever.

Mike B is "BlownV6" or something similar, Neal is "750HPv6" or something close. Check in the SII section, maybe a few older threads. They are always in and out of this section.

On center blocks typically have thicker cylinders than Off center blocks, either way 4.125" is really big. If you sonic check the block the cylinders will be paper thin. I've never known of anyone to run a Stage II block with a bore over 4.090" with the exception of Tim Cole who had one that he sleeved / offset bored on the end cylinders and bored it to 4.100".

Neal