Need advice for GN purchase...

rileydawgg

Hi guys. I was looking at GNs a couple weeks ago when my car was keyed and I had to pay out of pocket in order to keep the insurance company from declaring it a loss. As a result, I was forced to put off my search. Well, I'm back in the hunt but I have a bit of a dilemma which requires some knowledge from GN owners.

I had found a car that I liked, a little too modded for the track in terms of what my intentions of using it as more of a driver car, but still was a nice car. I made the guy an offer, he said he would try ebay first and if he didn't get what he wanted, he'd get back to me. Anyway, I put him aside and kept looking, and found one that I liked. I basically was going to buy it when all the stuff happened with my car and I had to hold off. But then pretty much exaclty when I decided to get back in the market last week, the original guy called and said he'd sell the car to me for what I offered him in the beginning. So, here's my dilemma... which car to get. I'd love to get your thoughts...

GN #1 (haven't actually driven it cuz halfway across teh country, but have talked with the owner extensively, he's answered all my questions, and he's sent me about 40 very detailed photos) located in New England.
**60K miles** FMIC, Xtreme transmission w/ torque converter 3200 stall, Walbro fuel pump, MSD #50 injectors, PT51 Turbo, alky kit. It also has leather seats and door panels. Has some tacky stuff I don't like, like custom console and fuel pressure gauge on outside on hood.

GN#2 (have driven it, owner very honest and very knowledgeable, has taken good care of the car) located about an hour away.
**100+K miles** A lot of the same mods including FMIC, alky kit, fuel pump, same stall, also fresh transmission. Interior is good but not as nice as leather, steering wheel, etc. Car does run really great. Paint is decent, but I think not as nice as the other one.

The big factor that make me lean towards the first one is the mileage and the interior (really like the leather), the factor that makes me lean towards the second is that he knows his stuff and the work he's done is very solid... also that I've driven the car. Again, this would be a street car, not so much a track car. So maybe third option is just to keep waiting and try to find something stock? I know I'll want to do some mods (I've had and know how the bug hits), so was thinking might as well have somebody else have done them already.

Okay, my fingers are tired so I'm gonna post this now. Obviously, I want to test out the other car, but my schedule wont' let me do that for a while and I'm afraid both cars will be gone by then. Just would greatly appreciate any input, thoughts, questions, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but from what I've been reading you guys are all really knowledgeable and helpful so I thought I'd ask. :smile:

If you are going to mod...let somone else eat it. I have almost $30k in mine and would be lucky to get 15 or 16 for it. If I had it to do over again, I would buy one modded. You can always eliminate gauges you don't like. Have you posted in the cars for sale area what you are looking for?
Good luck
Rich

I think I would do #2

Although it may be higher mileage, you know what your getting into since you have seen it personally. Another thing to consider is that #1 is coming from up north where their may be rust issues, wheras I see in your sig that your in LA, not much of a chance to rust out. Isn't California strict on emmissions? Has car #2 passed it's smog check? If so, one less worry since you don't know the state of car 1's tune and it's ability to pass a emissions check. Just a few things to also consider?

Steve

Riley,

Both cars sound nice.

Car 1 sounds like it has tasteful mods, and the work sounds to be done by a professional. The mileage is under 100k (which is always a plus). Sounds like you like leather. Are the seats after market or is the car a T-Type? The reason I ask is because GN's don't come with leather unless its an after market job. The owner has also provided you with pictures which gives you an idea of just about every angle and aspect of the car.

The down falls of the East Coast car is the unknown rust problem. CA Somg may be a problem and there is the head ache of a car transport. To my knowledge transports can range from 1000.00 and up.

Car 2 also sounds like it has tasteful mods as well. The mileage is over 100k (kinda a downfall). Its a GN so I bet it does not have leather. A huge plus on the second car is the fact you have seen it and driven it. Its a CA car so it sounds like it will pass CA smog.

I guess what it all boils down to, is which car do you see your self driving? At the end of the day you have to enjoy it and be comfortable in it, esp if its your DD. If your heart is really set on car 1 then I would advise you to fly out and check it out. I dont know what that seller asked/what you offered, but if your going to be putting over 10k into something, then its well worth the 500.00 to check the car out.

I saw pics of a GN on here with full leather conversion including door panels. Appeared to be stock seats recovered. Could be that car. I forgot where it is from.

You didn't mention anything about wanting orig. parts or numbers matching. I know most people don't think about that with these cars (yet) but collectors are starting to scoop up the unmolested orig. GN's for high $$. If you are buying as an investment to have fun with check the VIN stamps.

The cars are the same price, although the first seller is probably less firm on his price (although it's already $2K less than his asking). The leather seats are Katzkin and were professionally installed. They look exaclty like the stock ones just leather. I don't care about it being a collector or anything with matching numbers, although I do like that the car doesn't appreciate like my C5 Vette did. As for rust, etc., GN1 was originally a southern car and has maybe a teeny bit of surface rust in one place underneath but clean othewise (he sent me 10 pics of the underside). The shipping is a concern and I think I would ask the seller of GN1 to help out (which I think he would he wants to sell it that bad), especially if I fly out there to see it as well. GN2 has passed smog (legally, too) so that's obviously a bonus.

what part of New england is GN1 in? I am sure someone on the board lives close to it and might be able to check it out for you before you fly out...

The car's right on teh border of Mass/RI. I actually did post in the New England section a while back... but never got a response. It's not a very active section. I even PM'd the one guy who actually posted on the forum, but got zilch there too. I don't want to post on the GENERAL board then get flamed why I didn't post in REGIONAL.