Need advice for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking at the facts as I hear them here.

Head gasket : On a 9 sec car, there is no way it you could make a full pass on anything less that a 100% head gasket. So if on the cars last outing with the previous owner it made a WOT pass I would assume it was intact at the time of sale.

Scorched block : Had to have happened upon complete failure of the HG. Not gasket, Re-torqued or Not, is going to seal up against a carved up block surface. You're going to know it as soon as the car is fired that it diddn't seal.

Cracked head: Can't really say here, I guess it could have been pre-existing condition. If there was no signs of this before hand, how would anyone know without performing the proper checks looking for that specific problem.

On your boys first pass : 11.7 with a 2.6 60ft does not sound like a shake down pass with a new car. With that 60ft he HAD to be running hard the full length of the track to cross the line at 11.7. Knowing that the tune should have been checked and not being familiar with the car, that does not sound like a wise move to me.

My opinion : A hard pass on a new car with a questionable tune was a bad idea. Now it's time to pony up and repair the damage done by that bit of absent mindedness.

No one wants to invest 20K+ only to have your new dream car blow a head gasket after only 4 runs

This car was sold as a proven 9 second, stockblock stroker

The new owner knew the history of the car

The new owner had every right to take the car to his own shop to verify condition before making an offer to purchase

He could have done a compression test, he could have done a leakdown test, he could have gone to the track and watched the car run, all before deciding to buy

I have known the previous owner for over a year and have watched the car in question out at the local tracks go from 11's, to 10's, down to consistent mid to hi 9's

The car was a beast, and as such, was pushed hard each time it went out

Anderson built the motor in question and the motor lived up to the Anderson pedigree

How long should a built motor last? Who knows

1 run, 10 runs, 300 runs, each car and each driver is different.

Depends upon to many variables

Fuel octane, altitude, tune, air / fuel ratio, boost, timing, driver experience, track conditions, fuel delivery, spark, etc.

In the past 5 years I've had (and raced) a Ford Lightning, a Syclone, a Typhoon, a twin turbo Callaway Corvette, an 87 GN, GNX #485, and currently an 86 GN.

If you push these cars hard, they will eventually break or wear out to the point that they need to be re-built

Do I enjoy replacing parts?...hell no, but if I want to play, I'm gonna pay! eventually

Your lucky, head gasket replacement on a non-AC / heater car is easy compared to a stocker

You bought a proven used race car that had well over 40K put into it over the years and unfortunately one of the safety valves (head gaskets) went out shortly after you took ownership and made a couple of runs

While it sucks to spend money on top of money, atleast you got to break the motor down enough to discover any other worn, wearing, or broken parts.

If this car went mid nines in its current condition (as your friend implies "was broken or damaged before you bought it"), think of how fast it MAY be once everything is freshened up by Anderson again.

There was no shady dealing here, no one tried to hide anything, and the previous owner is well known and respected in the buick community

The previous owner has no obligation to pay or even offer to pay for half of any repairs for damage that was incurred after the sale, unless that was part of the original sales agreement

Not to many RACE cars are sold with a warranty, so don't cry foul just because of the unfortunate timing of the blown headgaskets.

I thought my car was fast, but my car will never see the 9's. I may have hit 10.72 at 125 mph but the car you bought scared the hell out of me. There was no comparison to the in your face power difference

You got one hell of a proven race car for a great price. Get it fixed to your liking and lets see you push it to the low 9's. Learn the car, clean it, wrench on it, discover any and all faults, fix them according to your schedule and budget

Best of luck with your re-build, and post up some pictures of your time slips when you hit your 1st deep 9

Regards,

Ray

+1 SYTECH

That car was Amazing! A head gasket is nothing. As SYTECH said the car went from 11's to mid 9's. I would say with over 200+ runs with not one issue. That motor you have is one of the strongest well built engines I have yet to see. If there was an Engine that you could compare to the Energizer Bunny this is the one.

+ 2 SYTECH !! Well said and Well explained.

That car is Very well known along with the previous owner.

A head gasket is a peice of cake to replace and MUCH cheaper than a windowed block!!

Scot W.

Mr. Fastlikeanascar,

Your friend bought a Used Race Car & Trailer combination for a very good price. It was not sold as brand new, or even as newly rebuilt. It was used, it was running real, real strong and it was never portrayed as anything other than "what you see is what you get"

Luckily he has you around to assist with wrenching on the car and working out his current problems.

Thats what the Buick Community is all about.

We help each other out, not only for friendship but also to save money by not going to the Indy's or dealerships

We all know how much it can cost to have a motor rebuilt the RIGHT way. The motor in that car can easily top that $7000 mark IF it goes to bare block and is completely gone through and refreshed with top quality components. You try to cut corners while trying to run 9's and you will be spending that $7000 more times than once

That proposed rebuild cost doesn't mean he has a total loss of his $20K+ investment. What about the car, the 400 tranny, the suspension, the brake system, the FAST system, the fueling system, the Big Turbo, the front mount, the aluminum radiator, the built rear end, the trailer, etc., etc., etc.

1. Head gaskets are a couple hundred bucks (for the good ones)
2. A cracked Aluminum GN1 Head can be repaired and pressure checked for another couple hundred bucks
3. Scourched block can also be repaired or machined down if necessary

You make it seem like we're a bunch of SoCal con men, little dicked, short bus riding hicks that go out of our way to screw over a fellow Buick lover for his hard earned money

We all feel the hard times and no one wants to lose any money on a sale or a bad purchase

I know all about the excitement bug. I've bought & sold 77 vehicles over the past 20 years. We've all felt that compulsive desire to buy it right now, and I know all to well about the Oh $hit, why is there white smoke coming from my exhaust and who spilled the marbles down my valve cover feeling too.

Nordy had nothing but great intentions towards selling this car to your friend. It was real hard for him to part with a vehicle that had been in his life for as many years as it was.

Chalk this up to preventative maintenance towards sure to happen future repair costs

Have you and your friend trailer the car back down to Socal and I will personally help him work on the car as needed to get it back up and running. I'll dedicate my labor and tool use at no cost to him because that is what the SoCal Buick Community is all about

Regards,

Ray

Just looking at the facts as I hear them here.

Head gasket : On a 9 sec car, there is no way it you could make a full pass on anything less that a 100% head gasket. So if on the cars last outing with the previous owner it made a WOT pass I would assume it was intact at the time of sale.

Scorched block : Had to have happened upon complete failure of the HG. Not gasket, Re-torqued or Not, is going to seal up against a carved up block surface. You're going to know it as soon as the car is fired that it diddn't seal.

Cracked head: Can't really say here, I guess it could have been pre-existing condition. If there was no signs of this before hand, how would anyone know without performing the proper checks looking for that specific problem.

On your boys first pass : 11.7 with a 2.6 60ft does not sound like a shake down pass with a new car. With that 60ft he HAD to be running hard the full length of the track to cross the line at 11.7. Knowing that the tune should have been checked and not being familiar with the car, that does not sound like a wise move to me.

My opinion : A hard pass on a new car with a questionable tune was a bad idea. Now it's time to pony up and repair the damage done by that bit of absent mindedness.
this is all very true....i have seen the car run in person and it was a beast...always in the 9s and nothing less...you guys should have checked the tune before running it that hard now you must pay the price for your stupidity

Is this Guy serious

this is all very true....i have seen the car run in person and it was a beast...always in the 9s and nothing less...you guys should have checked the tune before running it that hard now you must pay the price for your stupidity

Stupidity !!! Stupidity is you with you'r 19 post trying to get on here kissing A** by quoting every damn post before yours !...

Stupidity Is you being the same guy saying " Just think how a brotha would feel when some1 made a post about obama's AF1 "

racist bastard

im hispanic bro so imagine how a brotha would feel

Ok if your told don't touch the tune because the fast system adapts within 10% how stupid is that !? " By The Original Owner "

Man every1 wants there balls back open your mouth up & let them Go!!

But I guess you got me because Stupidity is me responding to your Stupid AZZ !!!

thats a nice run, but back to Stupidity. Stupidity would be Putting your knee in a car that you've never driven @ the track when you know what its capable of...

man your so smart buy the 9.sec car & try to go 9's on your first run, F getting to know it just Pin That damn peddle down !! ;)

your on here talking sh!t for your boyfriend and what do you get out of it a joy ride in his broken car....do us a favor put the keyboard away and go back to suck!ng your boyfriends c@ck i quoted them all cuz they are right

Stupidity !!! Stupidity is you with you'r 19 post trying to get on here kissing A** by quoting every damn post before yours !...

Stupidity Is you being the same guy saying " Just think how a brotha would feel when some1 made a post about obama's AF1 "

Ok if your told don't touch the tune because the fast system adapts within 10% how stupid is that !? " By The Original Owner "

Man every1 wants there balls back open your mouth up & let them Go!!

But I guess you got me because Stupidity is me responding to your Stupid AZZ !!!
btw yeah i might have 19 post but ive been wrenching on these cars for the past 5yrs....no need for me to take my engine somewhere else i can do it on my own...cant say the same for you guys tho

your on here talking sh!t for your boyfriend and what do you get out of it a joy ride in his broken car....do us a favor put the keyboard away and go back to suck!ng your boyfriends c@ck i quoted them all cuz they are right
Looks like you live fairly close,,might want to look for the pic of his son,that way you know who knocked you out...:eek: :eek:

btw yeah i might have 19 post but ive been wrenching on these cars for the past 5yrs....no need for me to take my engine somewhere else i can do it on my own...cant say the same for you guys tho

Yeah your right I dont build motors, But it is def. good to hear that you have a trade under your belt as I'm sure you've built many of motors & you are ?

Boyfriend now that was a good 1 , but you know what I just looked up & seen your in socal. So its only right for you to stick up for your boy, so is that where all the azz kissing came from..

& when you said joy ride in his broken car are you insinuating that you knew it was broken ? Now I hope thats not the case !! dont get tangled in your words.

Look Bro I mean SCRAP if thats what you are " I can really give to shi@* about all of this talkin back and forth especially with you.. were only really 5hrs apart we can all meet up & talk it out whether it be about the car or anything else you may want to discuss..

Dont get yourself mixed up thinking every1 on these forums are some sort of square ass nerd... It could cause you a world of trouble in the long run..

Yeah your right I dont build motors, But it is def. good to hear that you have a trade under your belt as I'm sure you've built many of motors & you are ?

Boyfriend now that was a good 1 , but you know what I just looked up & seen your in socal. So its only right for you to stick up for your boy, so is that where all the azz kissing came from..

& when you said joy ride in his broken car are you insinuating that you knew it was broken ? Now I hope thats not the case !! dont get tangled in your words.

Look Bro I mean SCRAP if thats what you are " I can really give to shi@* about all of this talkin back and forth especially with you.. were only really 5hrs apart we can all meet up & talk it out whether it be about the car or anything else you may want to discuss..

Dont get yourself mixed up thinking every1 on these forums are some sort of square ass nerd... It could cause you a world of trouble in the long run..

so your making a threat on a public forum?? watch what you say cuz it can bite you in the a$$ or wallet;) .........yes hes my boy but like i said i seen the car run before it was sold and it ran and sounded great so you cant say that YOUR boy was sold a pos....just face it you guys screwed up and thats it

So we sent the car to the best buick shop we could find @ least within 400 miles of us.. after pulling the motor apart they stated that the head gasket was already blown, that there was no way he could've caused tht damage on that one run.. the block was worped etc.

Do you mind sharing the shops name that did the inspection?

so your making a threat on a public forum?? watch what you say cuz it can bite you in the a$$ or wallet;) .........yes hes my boy but like i said i seen the car run before it was sold and it ran and sounded great so you cant say that YOUR boy was sold a pos....just face it you guys screwed up and thats it

Bro I dont care about that s%@t.... Screwed up what by driving it ? ok cool whatever is what it is.. Def. not worried about My AZZ 4 sure !! & wallet LOL @ tht..

Honestly they are communicating & trying to come to a solution so I'm just gonna leave it be B4 this gets any worse..

Bad deal in my eyes 4 one side of party I'll leave it @ that & thats not because i know who bought it I would feel the same way if it was any1 else or even if I was the 1 selling it..

Peace, Love , & Happiness :D

Status
Not open for further replies.