Need advice/BFG Traction TA's

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
First off someone kick me in the head quick........:biggrin:

My wife and I our not the wealthest people with three kids, so we have three big things that need fixing before winter. New tires and brakes on her Ford Freestyle and new tires on my Crown Vic. So, to save some money to pay for all the brake parts I need for her car I told her lets buy used/practically new tires for my car off E-bay or wherever we can find them.

So, I found a nice set of BFG Traction TA's T rated on Ebay. Suppose to be 90% and the guy assured me they were. The guy owns a tire place somewhere....anyways. Got them in the mail and the tires look really good beside the middle thread on every tire is half as deep as the other 4 threads. The thread does rise to the middle of the tire for the middle thread or channel. The guy is telling me that this is how the tire is designed and I can't imagine that the very middle thread or channel is half as deep as the other threads or channels by design.

Anyone have these tire and can tell me if that how they are or if like I think the tires were just over inflated for the first couple thousand miles and are not going to be bald in the middle quicker then they should.

Seller doesn't agree with me, but is offering me my money back less what it takes to ship the tires to him.

TIA, Nick.

Here are some pics if that helps at all. Just want to make sure I am not in the wrong here thinking these tires are worn improperly as the seller tells me I am but is willing to refund my money minus shipping back to him. They don't look that bad in the pics though?

It does almost look as if that is the way they are made :confused:
Overinflation would wear them in the middle, but I would think it would be spread out more than just the middle rib. I would strongly suggest checking out a new pair at a local BFG dealer.:)

Yup, the groove, or channel, in the center is about half as deep as the other four. I bought a set of those new in 2004 and noticed that then.

Don't worry, be happy... :D

Oh yeah, by the way. Keep an eye on the sidewalls on those. I bought the 4 new and had them mounted one afternoon. Went out the next AM to put the wheels on the car and there was a big ole bulge sticking out on the side of one. Wasn't a happy camper... :mad:

Attachments

• DSC01376a.jpg
    DSC01376a.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 62
OH MAN BIG RELIEF THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. Now I have to email the guy and tell him my local guy is stupid and didn't know what he was looking at. The guy always stuck to the idea that the tires were designed like that........thats why I posted to make sure I wasn't being stupid and sure enough I was being stupid!

BIG THANKS!! I am a happy camper now!!! :biggrin: