Need a VSS

lyonsd

A while ago I bought an analog gauge cluster from a member who had a business making/selling them (he is no longer doing it).

The gauges are all Autometer Phantom series.

87gn02.jpg

Two problems:

1. No VSS. The person I bought it from says he included it. But I gave everything to the shop to have them install it, and they said there was no VSS. Anyway, that doesn't matter. All the matters is I need a VSS. I contacted the seller, and he asks how many pulses per minute. I don't know. I figured he'd know since he sold me the speedometer.

2. The speedometer fluctuates badly. What causes this? And how to fix it?

I'd like to have an accurate speedometer, cruise control, and a locking torque converter again. Any ideas on what I need to do to reach these goals?

Thanks.

This may be what you are looking for:

Painless Performance: Vehicle Speed Sensor 2 Pulse Per Revolution

This is a mechanical speedometer, right? Maybe the cable is not routed nice and has too sharply bent?

No. Electric programmable.

Auto Meter

According to the instructions:

Auto Meter electronic speedometers are pre-calibrated. When converting from a cable driven speedometer, no further calibration is needed if:
1. The transmission’s speedometer cable take off is 1000 RPM at 60 MPH (97 km). Most vehicles meet this requirement.
If the vehicle’s tire size and/or differential ratio has changed, the speedometer needs to be recalibrated.
2. The vehicle is equipped with a 16-pulse/revolution sender.
3. The speedometer that includes a 2-wire sender is pre-calibrated to 8 pulses/revolution to match this sender.

If the above conditions have not been met, the speedometer must be recalibrated (see calibration section).

Speedometer Senders

The speedometer is designed to operate with an electrical speed sender. The speed sender signal range must be between 500 and 400,000
pulses/mile (310 and 248,500 pulses/km). Any speed sender or electronic module that meets the following two conditions can be used:

1. Pulse rate generated is proportional to vehicle speed.
2. Output voltage within the ranges listed below:
• 4 to 16V (Hall effect sender, 3-wire)
• 4 to 120V peak to peak into a 10K ohm load (Sine wave generator, 2-wire)
• 5V Square wave (TTL)

Recommended – Auto Meter Hall effect sender, 3-wire 16 pulses/revolution.
5291 Standard 7/8 – 18 thread
5292 Ford, plug in

What is stock for a digital speedometer?

you obviously have a VSS if your electric speedo works. maybe you can tie into that to get the cruise and lockup working again.

you obviously have a VSS if your electric speedo works. maybe you can tie into that to get the cruise and lockup working again.

The speedo works because it receives a signal from the sender, which is connected to a cable from the transmission.

The speedo works because it receives a signal from the sender, which is connected to a cable from the transmission.

Since you already have the speedo sender (Caspers I assume?) then all you need is Caspers VSS converter so it can convert the signal from the sender into something the stock ECM can understand.
http://www.installationinstructions.com/102046.pdf

I run an Autometer mech speedo with Caspers feed thru speedo sender and VSS converter and it works flawlessly.

I don't have cruise anymore but I guess you need Caspers tach amplifier as shown above to make it work.

you need the autometer 16 pulse (16 pulses per 1 revolution of cable) sender
since your speedo does work but is jumpy you must have the vss connected but you need to have the VSS sender installed it at the trans to avoid speedo cable twist issues (snapback) that will cause the speedo to jump up and down

with that 16 pulse sender if you run a stock ecm and 2004r with lockup and want the scanmaster to read accurately and lockup to occur when it supposed or cruise to work to you need a two pulse per rev signal for the stock vss to be functional and for that the casper vss converter will accomplish this

I have a sender that goes from the cable to the speedometer. Or are you saying I need another sender?

you need to install the sender you have at the transmission

and get the casper vss converter and also connect it to that senders output which will provide a two pulse signal run that signal it to to the stock vss buffer (green box) and youll have the cruise and lockup back as they were supposed to be

you were given a link to the caspers part ,, try clicking it
http://www.installationinstructions.com/102046.pdf