need a TV cable that fits 87 TR

dyermullet

I am troubleshooting my new trans shifting poorly, I have the pan down and measuring the TV plunger. With my old cable the measurements come out wrong from what lonnie recommends so I am trying to buy another cable so I can install and measure. I am a week into this trying to find a cable that fits.

Where can I buy one that fits. Someone give me a part number and brand.

So far I have tried Pioneer brand from Orielly CA-1960 and CA-1943 neither one fits. The outer jacket is inch to inch and a half shorter than what was on my car. It is piano wire tight when I can get it connected. I have it installed and routed correctly they are both just wrong. I have compared two 1960 so far and have another 1943 on order. Advance was able to cross ref the pioneer numbers so I have two cables on order with them right now.

I believe the V8 is different and that's probably what you get when you order new. I am not sure if anybody makes one for the V6.

I ordered one from Kirbans, it works. the throttle body connection isn't great but if you zip tie it it works fine.. good luck

The V8 is different. I found some that will work but need to make a simple modification to shorten the inner cable down. I will post the part number later. I think when it comes down to it I would just buy one of the universal cables like a lokar or other and then just manually adjust it.

Its a quality piece.... i lost mine when I put it in a safe place so it wouldn't get lost and as usual I found it after I bought one . The one I'm selling hasn't even been installed.

Just a followup for anyone who finds this through a search.

After searching the catalogs and the parts stores I found a cable that will work for someone that is desperate. 1987 buick century 2.8L Napa part number 17909, ATP part number Y228. This cable is in stock at most of my local stores. It is ~6 inches longer than the stock cable but that is not a problem, all the other cables the stores have on hand are shorter than the stock cable. The only problem with this cable is the inner cable length compared to the outer jacket length is a little longer than the stock. To say that another way if you extend both cables fully the century cable is ~ 1/4 longer. It should be an easy solution to just shorten the inner cable. You connect the cable to the trans like normal, then on the TB end you just need to shorten the mounting point 1/4"-3/8", you can just slide the eyelet back on the cable and use a small clamp on the cable to effectively shorten it. You should be able to find that at a bicycle repair place or a good hardware store.

I spoke with Mike Kurtz he was very gracious in giving me a few minutes of his time. He is using a universal TV cable for his customers.

I think the best permanent solution would be to just buy an aftermarket cables that you adjust manually. It is not that difficult to adjust these things. I also saw that tc made ez website has universal cables but I didn't check on their lengths.