Need a little help on engine removal

Hello Everyone,

Need a little advice. I am ready to remove the engine and hit a snag. What is the best way to remove the torque converter and flexplate? I can get a socket wrench on each bolt as I rotate the torque converter, but can't break them loose. The cross pipe is going to be replaced so I thought about just cutting the pipe and getting an air wrench on the bolts from the bottom. Any other, better ideas?

Leave the flex plate on the motor and break the nuts and bolts lose and push the torque converter back towards the engine, You might have to put a bar threw one of the holes on the flex plate to stop it from turning around on you.

Hello Everyone,

Need a little advice. I am ready to remove the engine and hit a snag. What is the best way to remove the torque converter and flexplate? I can get a socket wrench on each bolt as I rotate the torque converter, but can't break them loose. The cross pipe is going to be replaced so I thought about just cutting the pipe and getting an air wrench on the bolts from the bottom. Any other, better ideas?

A pair of good quality vice grips clamped on the flex plate to stop against the block and or the pry bar mentioned above.
Many times the flex plate to converter bolts have been loc-tited pretty good so you you may need to whack the wrench a few good sharp blows with a mallet to get the bolt moving.
Do you still have the original torque converter in the car? I bought a simple flywheel wrench years ago to help with this matter.
Look up lisle or snap-on flywheel tool there are several variations.

flywheel_wrench.jpg