Need a hand please!!!

need boost

got boost? you should!
Staff member
The other day I started my car and it was running rough for a few seconds but then cleared out, I thought that was wierd but then on the way back home it just shut off on me, cranked back up and went about 200 feet then did it again. Was able to crank it back up but it would only run a few seconds at a time. I unpluged the orange comp wire for a few seconds then plugged it back in and it cranked and ran fine, just like normal, long enough to get to the shop which was only 1/8 mile or so more. I figured it was the module so I had one I had grabbed at a local pick a parts place a while back from a 86 delta 88 and put it on this morning, must be bad , was trying to start but it was like the timing was bad off and it was only firing on one or two cyclinders so I pulled it back off. Went uptown and bought a new module , No spark at all now. Checked the injectors with a noid light and all is good there, checked the pink wire at the module and its getting fire but not putting out anything at all. I went and got a type 2 set up all new, module, and all 3 coils and tested it before I put it on the car with a casper tester. Good fire, put it on the car after redrilling my plate and got it wired up. Now I have spark again to the plugs but its like the cars timing is bad off still, will not crank, when it fires it slows the motor way down like the timing is way high. I tried changing computer chips with another one I have to be sure it was not a theft thing in my chip and still same results. Pulled off the cam cap and swapped it with a new one I had and checked the relucter ring to be sure it was not loose , still same thing. Haven't looked at the crank sensor but I wouldn't think that would throw off the timing like it sounds? Or would it. Any ideas I sure would appreciate it and if I am looking at the site right,
on a type 2 set up the plugs are from the passenger side to driver side 145236 running towards the plug in:confused:

Maybe my suggestion you ignored in the your other thread concerning the same problem was too small for you to see ...

Maf

I didn't ignore you red, I had done tried that. No change , just forgot to post that back. Daniel

yep got plenty, have a fuel guage on the hood. It acts like its out of time now. After the first time and I got it in the shop to change the module its been a fight since. I have injector pulse, and fire now but like its out to time still grrrr.

Need to check a couple of items.

First check that your cam sensor cap is on correctly and not cracked.

Remove the cam sensor cap and check the rotating ring. If it is loose, set it back where it should be and tighten down the screw.

Next check you balancer, see if it is loose on the crank. If so tighten it back up.

On the balancer check the reluctor ring. Make sure it has not come loose from the back of the balancer.

Next check the crank sensor for any issue or problems check the clearance of the reluctor to the sensor. Replace the sensor if there are any questions about it.

swapped the cam cap this morning with a brand new one, still same deal. Tomorrow when I get off work I am going to check out the balancer and reluctor ring. The ring was tight in the cam sensor and I bumped the motor over to be sure it was turning. Checked the wires about 50 times lol, I thought that was where I messed up but they are right. Thanks for the help guys, still trying to track this down. Its going to be something stupid sure as everything, just got to find it. Daniel Ray

Found it !!!!!!!! I KNEW it would be something stupid and sure enough. The bolt that holds the cam sensor down had backed off and it had turned some. Got it 25 degrees after tdc and used my cam tool to reset the cam sensor. Fired right off perfect with the Type II ignition set up. THINK SMALL STUPID hahahahahaha. Thanks for the help guys. Daniel Ray

Hanging in there Evan, you know I wasn't going to stop till I found it or it killed me lol, whichever comes first !!!!! Love the car but it can sure tick you off sometimes hahahaa. Ready for a shower now, my shops hot and I was soaking wet when I got done finding it but I am happy now lol. Take care my friend and hope to see you soon. Daniel Ray

Ah, a real car guy, he hangs in until he fixes it
That's what you need to to be a Turbo Buick nut.

Holy crap batman !!!!!!! I thought you had fell off the face of the earth Kevin ! How you been bub !

So you never tightened the cam sensor down lol???!!! Hows the Type II working?

lol who knows but the Type II set up is working great , seems like it cranks better to me also. Tried to call you earlier Doug, give me a holler tonight. Daniel

Holy crap batman !!!!!!! I thought you had fell off the face of the earth Kevin ! How you been bub !

Doing ok Daniel, just trying to finish school, taking up most of my time. Only seven credit hours left, Ye Haw!!!!! Sure is good to hear from you and I am glad you got your car fixed!!!:)